SL 40 radio

procharger

44 minutes ago, Anticept said:

A little over 2000 but also needs a tiny rewiring job (few pins). It's almost a drop in replacement.

To fully utilize the features of the gtr200 you need to remove your intercom and use the built in one.

It becomes a slightly more involved project at that point.

Anyway. 

I have a non functional sl40 with a good face plate if that helps?

You all know the SL30 and SL40 have built in intercomms too?

I don't know why flight design put in so many PM3000s when the 30s and 40s have all that too.

And I see MSRP on GTR 200s is 1500. They're out of stock though as of this post. Guess the guy I know who bought one got taken advantage of by the avionics shop.

SL40 repair is not cheap. I had mine repaired at Garmin but the SL40 has always had a lot of problems so I got rid of it. The GTR 200 also uses the "CanBus"  technology which is revolutionary when it comes to integration into other Garmin equipment. 

9 hours ago, Anticept said:

You all know the SL30 and SL40 have built in intercomms too?

I don't know why flight design put in so many PM3000s when the 30s and 40s have all that too.

And I see MSRP on GTR 200s is 1500. They're out of stock though as of this post. Guess the guy I know who bought one got taken advantage of by the avionics shop.

I assume that price includes installation.  Finding a good avionics shop has become very difficult over the years and a lot of them have no clue. I know one that did a package in a Citation and when the owner went to pick it up nothing worked,  coms, navs,AP, etc. He flew it to CHS with a hand held radio. In flight one of the radios started to fall out of the panel. I looked at the installation which could only be done by an amateur. The seems to be a problem everywhere,  not like in years past. I consider myself very lucky to be able to do all my own avionics in this environment. 

Two white wires on the radio plug had some bare wire sticking out and were very close

together like almost touching each other I seperated those two wires and the blinking

stopped but I could smell some burn't  smell in that area so radio would not receive or transmit.

1 hour ago, procharger said:

Two white wires on the radio plug had some bare wire sticking out and were very close

together like almost touching each other I seperated those two wires and the blinking

stopped but I could smell some burn't  smell in that area so radio would not receive or transmit.

If you have Garmin fix the SL40 don't even think about plugging it back in until a real avionics man looks at it. There should never be extra unidentified or bare wires in any installation . Whoever installed it did not know what he was doing. I see this all the time.