Fuel flow meter

PhilT

I'm new to the CTSW and have a Dynon as well. My fuel flow rate is off from reality (by about a factor of 2).

I'm wondering what other Dynon users on here are using for a calibrated value.

I've read standard is supposed to be 68000 and some people (other forums - non FD) have suggested that an adjustment of up to 2000 might be required. 

I'm thinking mine would have to be about halved or doubled. This seems really out there so was hoping to hear what other people have had to use on the CT's.

Cheers, Phil

Do you know for sure which fuel flow transducer you have? If you have the Flow Scan and someone set the Dynon for a Red Cube, that could be your problem. Or if they switched to a Red Cube, and didn't change the K-factor. It is probably something along those lines.

Flow Scan was likely original, and its K-factor is about half of the Red Cube. The example in the Dynon manual shows one of around 29,000 for the Flow Scan.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, Tom Baker said:

Do you know for sure which fuel flow transducer you have? If you have the Flow Scan and someone set the Dynon for a Red Cube, that could be your problem. Or if they switched to a Red Cube, and didn't change the K-factor. It is probably something along those lines.

Flow Scan was likely original, and its K-factor is about half of the Red Cube. The example in the Dynon manual shows one of around 29,000 for the Flow Scan.

Thanks Tom for the suggestion. I will have to find out which one it has. Your theory makes sense to me.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, Tom Baker said:

Hi Tom,

I apparently do have the red cube. After some hours of flying now I believe the factor is not off by double but is off. I'm going to calculate the new k-factor and give it a try again.

Are you flying with Dynon equipment?

I have the HDX system that came with the plane. I spoke with the former owner about the audible alerts which are not currently working. 

Apparently he said they never have. 

IF you have a similar Dynon is that anything I might have missed in the firmware setup that might be causing the lack of audibles?

I haven't dug into the installation yet but figure I might have to to see if there is a missing wire .. though.. my radio comms (Dynon system) are working fine, so unless the connection is made outside of the radio comms route I would think that's not the problem.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding.. don't know why I didn't see this message until now!

I believe my calibration value is also 68000 currently and I'm using the Red Cube.

After putting a bunch of hours on and checking fuel consumption I no longer believe the readings are out by a factor of 2 but rather about 1.1 or so. I'm going to do the calibration and see how that works out.

Audible alerts I was referring to are Dynon alerts about approaching or departing altitude, trim adjust (when in AP), engine warnings etc. I saw it in online tutorials for the Dynon and turned on all audible warnings in the setup but get nothing through to my headset.