Buying my first airplane: 2009 CTLS

Sbailin

Excited to buy a 2009 CTLS: buying from a flight training center because I could never get training time/CFI. Decided to buy so I can actually complete my sport license! Everything is recently done: hoses, parachute, and rocket. The only issue is that the rotex comes up for overhaul/replacement (15yrs). Looking to start my adventure! Always wanted to learn how to fly!

Steven

If you are looking at overhauling or replacing the engine based on the 15 year factor only, I don’t think anyone pays much attention to this. Most look at hours and even then, many go past the hours recommended for overhaul/replacement and keep operating the engine “on condition “. There is a little debate regarding this on the forum and it should be easy to find. Pull it up and read it. I’m just a guy flying around and doing basic maintenance, but there are some real experts that give good information on here daily.

ditto.

Unless you're renting the plane out, I wouldn't worry too much about the TBO (either hours or years). Just get someone familiar with both Rotax and Flight Design to maintain it for you, or at least help you maintain it.

I have 2,300 hours and 19 years on my mine with no major work required. And though I've had very competent help at times, I've also done some of the work myself 🙂.

There is no requirement to overhaul the engine based on calendar time or tbo and going to experimental is not necessary. Overhaul and tbo is based on "on condition" unless used for hire. Even certified aircraft are not required to unless operated for hire or 135 operations.

3 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

There is no requirement to overhaul the engine based on calendar time or tbo and going to experimental is not necessary. Overhaul and tbo is based on "on condition" unless used for hire. Even certified aircraft are not required to unless operated for hire or 135 operations.

That is not exactly correct. Because of CFR 91.327, if the aircraft manufacture puts overhaul times in their manual, then they must be followed. Pipestrel for example list TBO. Flight Design does not put limits in their manual. Some people take the FAA ruling that you must follow the manufactures maintenance manuals to mean all of the sub manufactures, like Rotax. The regulation clearly says the aircraft manufactures manual. All the Flight Design manual says is to refer to Rotax for maintenance and inspection. I can comply with what the Flight Design manual says, while not complying with Rotax's recommended overhaul periods 

Thanks! It would be nice not to replace the Rotex not year. So unless I decide to rent the plane, I can just do the annual work? If I decide to rent, I would need to replace/overhaul. I’ll look into the Rotex section for more information. It’s great to have this community as a resource!

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

That is not exactly correct. Because of CFR 91.327, if the aircraft manufacture puts overhaul times in their manual, then they must be followed. Pipestrel for example list TBO. Flight Design does not put limits in their manual. Some people take the FAA ruling that you must follow the manufactures maintenance manuals to mean all of the sub manufactures, like Rotax. The regulation clearly says the aircraft manufactures manual. All the Flight Design manual says is to refer to Rotax for maintenance and inspection. I can comply with what the Flight Design manual says, while not complying with Rotax's recommended overhaul periods 

One of the reasons I went ELSA to avoid the inconsistency in manufacturers requirements. I have much more leeway in certified for changes,  LSA needs a version of AC 4313 to make things easier but I guess that would involve the FAA, not good either.