Dirty plugs on front but clean on back side?

procharger

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

If you mean dirtier plugs on the front cylinder vs. the rear cylinder, rear cylinders get less air flow, so they run hotter and leaner typically.  

I'm going to assume you meant more air. Less air creates a rich mixture causing unburned fuel on the plugs, at least for a piston engine.

48 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I'm going to assume you meant more air. Less air creates a rich mixture causing unburned fuel on the plugs, at least for a piston engine.

At that point it is less fuel/air mixture. Because of the design of the intake manifolds and the flow of the fuel/air mixture, it has a hard time making the tight turn to the rear cylinder. This packs more fuel/air mixture to the front cylinder. At least that is my uneducated thoughts on what is happening. It is a common thing for the from plugs to be darker in color than the rear plugs.

49 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

At that point it is less fuel/air mixture. Because of the design of the intake manifolds and the flow of the fuel/air mixture, it has a hard time making the tight turn to the rear cylinder. This packs more fuel/air mixture to the front cylinder. At least that is my uneducated thoughts on what is happening. It is a common thing for the from plugs to be darker in color than the rear plugs.

The only one to know for sure is  Rotax with cylinder induction fuel/air flow data. As long as the engine keeps running I'm happy.

There is a normal air / fuel imbalance on all 900 series Rotax engines between front and back cylinders plus the bottom plugs are not as efficient as the top plugs in the firing / burning. This is normal and nothing to worry about. The dry black sooted plugs happen at idle rpms and not higher flight rpms.

No need to worry.

On 3/25/2023 at 3:15 PM, Tom Baker said:

That was my thinking...less fuel/air to the rear causing the cylinders to be starved vs the front ones and leaving some fuel unburned.