Prospective CTSW Purchaser - In Flight Storage

SkyGuy

This is a great forum and I'm glad to be a new member.  I am a student sport pilot currently training in a Tecnam P92 Echo.  I've been conducting exhaustive research of high wing S-LSA on the internet and the CTSW is solidifying as my top choice.  Ideally, I'd like to purchase a used one fairly soon to finish my training in "my plane" that I'll be flying when I receive my certificate.  In any event, my one lingering concern about the CTSW is the bulkhead right behind the seats preventing access to the baggage/storage area.  Where do you put your flight bag and other essentials you need to access during flight?

As a related question, what is below the two removable floor boards?  Is there sufficient area below the floor boards to store essential items needed during flight?  With the CTSW being such a popular aircraft, I trust this is not an issue.  But I'm very interested in learning from current CTSW pilots what methods, tricks, etc. you use to accommodate your in-flight items?  Thank you in advance for any input.

~John

Welcome John,

I downsized to a smaller flight bag that slips between side / rear of seat, when you own a plane the Ipad and headsets are left in the bird and what I "need" to carry in a flight bag is minimal.  If I'm away from plane I sometimes place all these items in rear (more secure) baggage area, but the point is a small flight bag is the arrangement.  Kneeboard & flight plan tucks between side of seat and center console.  The bottom floor boards require removing shoulder harness to lean forward, I tuck less neccesary items there.  Tools, water bottles, bungee cords, etc.

If the seats are forward there is a fairly large space behind and under them.  I'll slip sweatshirts, pee jug, etc down there.

I've looked at a lot of LSA's over the years, the spacious one's such as Ranger are interesting but we all have the weight limitations and I'll take a FD that's 25 knots faster every time.

Darrell

2 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

If the seats are forward there is a fairly large space behind and under them.  I'll slip sweatshirts, pee jug, etc down there.

I've looked at a lot of LSA's over the years, the spacious one's such as Ranger are interesting but we all have the weight limitations and I'll take a FD that's 25 knots faster every time.

I agree.  And honestly, I've never felt constrained for space in my CTSW.  It's not going to fit a full sized bike (even a folding bike is a challenge), but for normal traveling loads I think it's excellent.  Between the floor lockers, the under panel map shelves, behind/under seat space, etc, there's plenty of accessible space for most objects.  I don't use a flight bag, everything I need is on the iPad or fits behind the right seat.  On long cross country flights when solo I do put my backpack on the passenger seat and secure it with the seat harness.

You can also remove the curtain behind the passenger seat and you can reach into the right baggage bay using your right arm.  It's not a full bulkhead, there are pass-throughs behind the seats. 

20 hours ago, shiny.ice said:

Do you have pics of this? I'm sure you do, so the real question is if you can link it easier than I can find it ;)

I remember this thread about fitting a folding bike with the passenger seat removed, not sure if that's what you did.

Oh, I didn't do it...but I know others have and they had to find the smallest, lightest folder possible (which gets expensive!).

This pic is similar to what I bought, 16" folding hinged in center.  It loads in rear baggage compartment of SW with three extra steps, 1) remove the peddles from crank, 2) the handle bar & post must be pulled out of the neck. 3) likewise the seat and stem removed.   Being quick release on seat and stem these are not a big deal, but I'm not impressed with a bike of this size.  A good e-scooter or kick scooter that folds down would be more practical.  

image.png.2c2b6cc6c8cf5ce33a7fcfd970f5b0c1.png

The storage area on the floor are much larger than they look. Much larger than the hinged doors for them. Here is a picture of one and the stuff I pulled out of it. Even with this stuff in it, there still is quite a bit more space available. And of course, you have an identical area on the opposite side. If you slip off your shoulder straps, you can reach them in the air, but it is a little awkward.

I also like the cup holder/storage I placed between the seats. I stole that idea from someone on the forum and it works great (sorry, can’t remember who’s idea it was so I can’t give them credit).

I should have also taken pictures of the small storage area under the panel on each side. It’s great for checklists, a phone, iPad or other small stuff and is easily accessible.

There are also pockets on each door.

I have a CTSW. The normal baggage areas can hold a bunch of weight, but are shaped in a way that getting large items into them in tough. Due to the parachute and other items, they are kinda long and thin. You can fit a fair number of duffel bags in them, but can’t really get a small, hard suitcase in them. The oddly shaped baggage doors doesn’t help. 

The rear bulkhead behind the seats really isn’t much of a bulkhead, but has a huge opening covered by cloth. The bottom of the cloth is held with two pins, allowing the cloth to be immediately pulled open from the bottom. The problem to accessing the baggage area from the cabin is the seats.

I have a large electric scooter I sometimes carry. I have to remove the seat, which only takes a few minutes, then slip it into the baggage area from behind the seat location. I then have enough room to put the seat back in if I’m flying with a passenger.

There really is a bunch of storage in the plane, it’s just not made for large items.  I packed enough in the plane to fly from California to Oshkosh for a week. This included a tent, folding chair, sleeping bag, pillow, tons of clothes and other junk, and still had some room.

D3B854CA-E8EE-4CCD-972B-0373F088BC3F.jpeg

8E0A744D-CE16-4D2D-9368-1C3ABAD6EE99.jpeg

9EC4AF0F-7A46-4161-8251-B7BC534A184C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

Towner you gave me an idea.

Much like the purpose of a picatinny rail on a rifle, the center tunnel top piece could be remade as to allow you use attach points for things like cupholders or ram mounts all in a standardized fixture.

That’s a great idea! I think the planes are set up pretty well, but this could fix a lot of convenience issues and could be changed to fit the flight.