Main gear bearings

Devon

9 hours ago, Anticept said:

Marc ingegnos are sealed, matco mains are field serviceable but not the nose wheel. Do you know which ones you have?

I had to change a tire (away from home)and I swear it had tapered bearings that you would pack with grease in your palm and commented to someone else that they should be repacked when we returned (had light grease on outside). They replied that they were sealed. Looking at the parts diagram, it shows that they are flat with visible ball bearings instead of rollers but not “sealed”. Will find out soon but I’m just curious if I was correct

If the wheel had silver cast machined rims with integral hub, and the bearings fell out, they need packed. If the rims were stamped gold anodized, and it had a separate hub they are sealed. The bearings that need packed have an integral grease seal, and to some might look like a sealed bearing while installed.

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 9:28 AM, Tom Baker said:

If the wheel had silver cast machined rims with integral hub, and the bearings fell out, they need packed. If the rims were stamped gold anodized, and it had a separate hub they are sealed. The bearings that need packed have an integral grease seal, and to some might look like a sealed bearing while installed.

Every time I open up the main wheels I repack the bearings.  They are easy to do and it only takes a few minutes.  EAA has a good video on how to properly pack bearings in their video archive for anybody not familiar with the procedure.