Light Sport Repairman Course

Chuck

If anyone else is interested, I just enrolled in the Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance class offered by Blue Ridge Community College.  It involves some online coursework to be done on your own time between May 8th and August 18th, and 5 days of hands-on work at the Shenandoah Valley airport from August 12th-16th.  Successful completion makes it legal to do your own work on your non-experimental light sport aircraft (including annuals) and even work for hire on other people's light sport aircraft.  And I'm not clear on all the details, but apparently after holding this certificate for a few years you're eligible to sit for the A&P exam if you want to.

Cost is just under $1900 and you need to be enrolled by May 8th - they said they've still got openings for the class as of this morning.

A&P takes about 2 yrs to get, pretty much fultime, a repairman certificate for LSA isn't even close. A few years ago there were several A&P mills teaching the answers until the airlines complained that a lot of these so called A&P's had no clue. The FAA cracked down hard on these facilities and now the failure rate on practical exams are about 75%. These facilities require 30 months on the job training at minimum to qualify for FAA ok to take the exams. I'm not disparaging anyone with a repairman ticket but there is no comparison to an A&P today not even close.

That’s pretty much the case with every job - there is no substitute for experience. When we hire computer science graduates , even after 4 years of intense training , they are not even close in terms of overall productivity we get from 20+ years experienced veterans.

Im doing the registration and enrollment today. There is credit available for two of the classes if you already have your certificate. $1900 being out of state and online, this is a absolute win. 

I'll follow up as I go through the process