Fire Extinguishers

DocRon

After nine years it's probably (past) time to replace my CTLSi fire extinguisher.  The current unit was made in the Czech Republic and doesn't have one syllable not written in the Czech language except for "400ml" (which I could translate;)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement extinguisher?

Thanks,

Ron

29 minutes ago, DocRon said:

After nine years it's probably (past) time to replace my CTLSi fire extinguisher.  The current unit was made in the Czech Republic and doesn't have one syllable not written in the Czech language except for "400ml" (which I could translate;)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement extinguisher?

Thanks,

Ron

These are what are installed in mine.  Edit: There is an LOA in the Letters of Approval Section

2nd edit.  Looks like either a company change or name change, so I can't confirm if the LOA is still approved?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U0KGDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other than a fire on the ground that the pilot may be able to use the extinguisher on and have some effect what kind of inflight CT fire scenario would that extinguisher be good for at altitude?  I’m thinking if something’s going on behind that enclosed panel, then it’s Vne hopefully to a meteor like landing?  Any thoughts as to the usefulness of that little thing other than a ground fire..?

2 hours ago, airhound said:

Other than a fire on the ground that the pilot may be able to use the extinguisher on and have some effect what kind of inflight CT fire scenario would that extinguisher be good for at altitude?  I’m thinking if something’s going on behind that enclosed panel, then it’s Vne hopefully to a meteor like landing?  Any thoughts as to the usefulness of that little thing other than a ground fire..?

While I can't speak to the in flight fire question, I can say these things are pretty good.  I bought a couple of 2 packs when I had to replace the one in the airplane, and put them around the house.  Had a (rather large) piece of wrapping paper hit a candle during Christmas time and lit up pretty well.  This little extinguisher had it out with about 1-2 seconds of spray.  Again, can't speak to an airplane in flight fire, but it did really well for that circumstance.

As for an in flight fire, for me, its going to be master off (if acrid or electrical smelling), extinguisher, rapid descent if fire isn't out.

I’m not loosing sleep and I’m sure the probability is very low as I  harken back to a recent thread about a fuel hose connection seep/leak behind a CT panel. It got some membership attention. Was thinking what about FD allow for a non-structural panel redesign/LOA to add punch holes on each side of the panel tunnel, down near the calves/knees, to poke the extinguisher nozzle through….to spray and pray….so to speak?

AOPA just had an article last week on different types of extinguishers. While it didn’t cover brands, it discussed different substances used in the extinguishers. For a guy like me that doesn’t have a clue, there was some good information in the article.

I had an event a few weeks ago while flying that could have resulted in an engine fire. It was quite a struggle to get to the fire extinguisher in the pocket behind the copilot seat. I have since moved it to another location in the cockpit. I would suggest everyone try accessing their extinguisher while piloting and see if they have better success than I did.

Ken

N296CT

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious about the event too.

I still have one attached to the back of the seat, but have a second one in the pilot side floor storage compartment. Neither place is ideal, but hopefully I’d be able to get to one of them. Even better, hopefully I’ll never need one!

I keep one in this now. Great cup/phone/other stuff holders.

https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Multifunctional-Organization-Distracted-Cellphones/dp/B08T9BXZ7C

I had a fuel leak while flying to Florida from Virginia. Flight following was great getting to an airport. Turns out it was leaking from the pilot side carb fuel bowl. In retrospect, I should have cut the fuel off but I left it on and could make 4000 rpm to the airfield. There was no fire but I was anticipating one. I could smell the fuel and my fuel monitor went up to 7.5 GPM.

FYI, carry some extra fuel bowl gaskets. Get them from 

https://realgaskets.com/product/bing-bowl-and-float-bowl-gaskets-bail-type/

$11.95 for 2 vs $75.00 a piece from Rotax.

Also, theraf.org is a great site for private airfields. I flew into VG16 the other day. Nice uphill runway for landing. Nice videos on this site for landing and taking off on most airports.

Best,

Ken

N296CT