Low fuel pressure

Murray sibbeston

I just bought a 2006 ctsw.   After flying it home over three days and 24 hours airtime of flawless operation it now has been indicating low fuel pressure.  I checked all the fuel lines and found three so loose I could pull them off with my fingers.  I fixed this and the pressure was fine for a test flight.   But the next flight it happened again.   All lines are tight.  I suppose my next step is to check the pressure with a gauge?   The filters are half full after the short flight. is this normal? 

IMG_0812.jpeg

I have an '06 SW, and no that's not normal.   Appears someone installed filter in that section of line from the tank down run to the firewall T fitting.  This likely was done to relocate the factory filter which is a single filter past the shut off valve in the cabin center tunnel area. 

Is there a second filter on the other side / tank?

I think relocating filters developed a rise in the line and that high spot is holding vapor bubble.  Having a plastic filter in engine area is not safe, that could leak easily and far from fire safe too.

Plastic filters in engine compartment  is crazy not to mention a choke point. It might be prudent to look closely over the rest of the plane. Anyone that puts these filters in may have done other stupid things. These filters look like something you would put on a lawnmower. Find a real mechanic very familiar with a CT and have him look at it.

FD published a bulletin many years ago and got rid of plastic fuel filters. There should only be one fine filter in the instrument panel and then the gascolator out in the engine compartment. Plus a plastic fuel filter should not be in the hot engine compartment.

The 5 year rubber was just completed so maybe they were put on then. I just bought the plane.  I’ll replace the lines.   There is a filter on each side.   I’ll check to see if the factory filter is still there.  It’s my first rotax 912 so I’m not familiar with what is normal.  But the filters looked a little Mickey Mouse.  They were pretty warm to the touch.   I found the fuel lines finger tight so I know I need to double check everything.  

Im not used to the bar readout.  It was in the yellow and making the alarm flash.   
can someone tell me exactly how I find the fuel filter? I don’t want to start pulling apart the dash unless I know I’m on the right track.   Also is the proper fuel line 5/16?    I’ve read a few posts about putting the filter in a more accessible location so I will probably try that once I access it and see how it’s plumbed in there.  
thanks. 

If I converted correctly, that's 0.9 psi.  No fuel pump at all gets about 0.9 psi from head pressure alone.  One of the mechanics can let you know if the pump is the older style.  Do you log books indicate that the pump has ever been changed?  Have you done a fuel flow test to see if there are any obstructions upstream of the gascolator?

On 5/27/2023 at 11:34 PM, Murray sibbeston said:

Fredg 

the lowest pressure was 0.06 bar.   It drops in the climb out and it stays Below normal in the entire circuit.   I’ve not left the pattern.  The pump has ac stamped on it.  Is this the older style I may need to replace?

Were you able to make full rpm on climb out at that pressure?  Sounds awfully low if as FredG says it's 0.9psi.  With pressure that low I'd expect some reduction in power...

If you have a Kavlico fuel pressure sender then you need to remove the silicone insert at the plug.. It's a Dynon service bulletin ans affects other instruments like Garmin,,, ect, and leaving the silicone insert in causes low fuel pressure indications due to the pressure differential caused by the silicone insert.

https://dynonavionics.com/bulletins/support_bulletin_120414.php

don't know what sender he has,,, but I know he has ''that thing '' who looks like a trailer ball ...not sure what it is... can you explain please  just curious    here is a picture of HIS engine I took in 2011       the ''thing'' is in the firesleeve circled green       THANKS

CT Gatineau 2011 006.jpg

The old AC fuel pumps should be replaced. The fuel bulb dampeners on the CTSW's were installed because the original Dynon software had pulsation issues. That is long gone and I remove all CTSW fuel bulb pulsation dampeners. They are not needed any longer.