Spinner loose on shaft

tevbax

CTSW with Neuform prop. Our spinner clunks around a little, as it appears to be loose on the shaft that extends from the prop (KA5090004)spinner.png.4cdb5b2aed799a2b1e906db0ec121fbe.png
1. Is there a replacement bushing that can be inserted into the spinner?
2. Anyone have a measurement of the two so I can check exactly what is out of size?
3. Would this indicate a prop balance issue (vibration causing wear)

Any help would be appreciated.

There is a little normal play in the prop shaft going into the gearbox, you can wiggle it back and forth 1/8" or so. But if you mean between the prop hub and the prop shaft flange, that is not normal and dangerous.  On a Neuform prop there are through-bolt bushings that go through the flange, that the prop bolts ride in...have you removed the prop and checked them for wear?  I don't see how they'd wear if the prop bolts were properly tightened, though  Has the torque on the prop bolts been checked?

Sorry for all the disparate questions, this was kind of a stream-of-consciousness post.  :D

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

There is a little normal play in the prop shaft going into the gearbox, you can wiggle it back and forth 1/8" or so. But if you mean between the prop hub and the prop shaft flange, that is not normal and dangerous.  On a Neuform prop there are through-bolt bushings that go through the flange, that the prop bolts ride in...have you removed the prop and checked them for wear?  I don't see how they'd wear if the prop bolts were properly tightened, though  Has the torque on the prop bolts been checked?

Torque on the shaft to hub is fine with zero movement. The play is between the end of that shaft and where it fits into the spinner. You can move the spinner back and fourth and here it clunk around between the bushing and shaft. 

@tombaker, that was my thought, just add a bit of material to the end of the shaft to account for wear. I emalied Airtime this morning to see if I could get a print snip of the shaft so I could take a measuring device to both components. 

I wish the spinner support post was made with an end taper instead of a straight cut. A slight taper would handle manufacturer tolerances a lot better than trying to get an exactly-fitting straight tube.

It's also very common for those spinners to clunk clunk.

My solution was a 50c roll of scotch tape and building up layers!

Fore and aft movement is fine. That is the front spinner bulkhead sliding on the support. It will slide due to the rear bulkhead flexing. That is the way it is supposed to work. The clunk you hear is the spinner hitting the ridge on the support. Unless the spinner is moving side to side on the front support you don't need to do anything. The purpose of the front support is to keep the spinner from wobbling.