iS Oil pressure

Tip

My friend changed the oil in his 2014 CTLSi and doesn’t know how to verify that he has oil pressure before start up. The Skyviews on the injection models don’t show the engine information when setting the breaker like my 2011 does. Looking a the parts breakdown, the oil sensor is on the back side of the engine and not on the oil filter housing. How can he verify oil pressure?

Hi Tip,

I'm not sure I understand. You normally change the oil and filter. Then you start the engine and watch the oil pressure on the panel. Why would you and how would you need to confirm it before you even start the engine? Why would he think there was an issue to start with?

We don't have preoilers on flight designs, There shouldn't be anything other than "0" showing on oil pressure when the engine hasn't been started.

Also, if the engine page isn't up by default, he needs to configure it. The dynon manual explains how to enter the configuration pages and set up defaults.

Ron had the oil can off and drained the oil cooler so it’s like an oil purge after a hose change.With mine having carbs, I was taught somewhere over the last 15 years to remove the top plugs and spin the prop 60 times and look for oil pressure on the Dynons. His Dynons display big Xs.

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Why would you and how would you need to confirm it before you even start the engine? Why would he think there was an issue to start with?

Yes he needed an oil purge. Removing the top plugs ok, but did he apply air pressure to the oil tank at the vent tube fittings and did he remove the "In" oil hose on the tank and let it hang while he rotated the prop? I can see cleaning the oil tank and no purge is needed if that's all he did, but why did he drain the cooler?

I rotate my props 80 - 90 times in 1.5 minutes. Fairly fast. Then I get some oxygen (LOL) for a minute or two and do it a second time. When my instruments are turned on we see around 50 - 55 psi. Doing this twice like this I have never had a soft lifter in 23 years. This is a 912ULS.

Plus his Lane A & B may not be functioning unless he has the backup power on and the key turned on. The 912iS engine is different. IF he did a good purge like I described I would have just started the engine and observed the oil pressure.

20 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

but did he apply air pressure to the oil tank at the vent tube fittings and did he remove the "In" oil hose on the tank and let it hang while he rotated the prop?

Yes at 7 psi. I guess that the oil tank was ugly, he wanted to get as must old oil out as possible.

as Tip was saying hi rotated the Prop after I removed the can to clean out the sludge in the bottom, I got extra oil out of the hoses I refilled proper amount of oil turned on the skyviews and they’re all  x out took the top plugs out in turn prop about 100 times I wife watch the gauge and they never changed. It still xout out it does not read any temperature oil temperature or coolant temperature. It’s like the skyviews don’t come on until there’s oil pressure or some other thing I was afraid to turn on lane A and b for fear of destroying the units without the spark plugs in this morning I turn prop a bout 12 times with the plugs out and it did gurgle in the tank just like you burp it but I still don’t know that I have oil pressure 

"as Tip was saying hi rotated the Prop after I removed the can to clean out the sludge in the bottom,"

Hi Ron,

Never rotate the prop when the tank is empty or the oil filter is off or you will need to do an oil purge because of all the air introduced into the system. The gurgling won't mean anything other than the oil level in the tank and has nothing to do with the oil in important places inside the engine.

It's okay to remove the tank to clean it and you won't have to do an oil purge so long as you do not drain the hoses or rotate the prop.

I think at this point it won't hurt the engine to start it and just watch the oil pressure. I think you'll be okay.

IF you had good clean oil coming from the crankcase after the pressure purge, you are likely okay. I would check the lifters after a short run. If you check them prior to running it is possible for air to be introduced after the start up. An other option would be to connect a computer through a dongle to monitor the oil pressure on the computer. 

On 6/4/2023 at 2:26 PM, Roger Lee said:

I rotate my props 80 - 90 times in 1.5 minutes. Fairly fast. Then I get some oxygen (LOL) for a minute or two and do it a second time. When my instruments are turned on we see around 50 - 55 psi. Doing this twice like this I have never had a soft lifter in 23 years. This is a 912ULS.

After talking with Roger by phone, this is what I did.  I did 100 full prop rotations followed by 100 more.  Worked like a charm. 

To get the skyviews to register, I had to turn the back up power source on pull the bottom plugs, which are lane a turn then lane b on ignition switch, and I made a jumper for the solenoid that would turn the Prop and I picked up oil pressure reading on the sky views also you have to turn off the fuel pumps. Thanks everybody for the help we’re back in business.