working solo

rookie

Seems like no one is ever around when I’m working on the plane so I’ve had to come up with special tools and gimmicks to operate solo. To work on landing gear, brakes, wheels etc. I made this platform for my engine lift. As you can see I have a tire&tube to act as a cushion and non-slip pad. Very user friendly.

Recently I used it for the landing gear inspection; which bring me to my next point. Has anyone found a way to completely remove the rear reinforcement plate? I wanted to remove it and Magaflux the Spring Bar but had to settle for getting it out about 1.25 “ and visual inspection with snakelight and mirror. I might have been able to get it off if I was willing to ruin the center bolt; however not having a replacement I decided on visual instead. Sure hope somebody has a suggestion.

post-76-0-15643200-1308256445_thumb.png

Hi Al,

Do you know what is so upsetting about your picture?

The floor and hangar are clean! wink.gif

I usually use a 6' ladder for a wing brace, but your idea is very clever. I like it and I'll try it. What are you going to do when you have to pull both wings and pull both wing support pins? I know your going to tell me the guy in the next hangar has another engine lift. laugh.gif

The clean floor will have to wait. smile.gif

Please give me a call.

Hi Eric,

The back is because your finally getting old. laugh.gif

I like Al's idea with the lift. Simple, clever and effective.

Eric,

Doesn't it make you feel a little dumb when a ROOKIE just sashays in and comes up with something so easy. I does me. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hi Al,

I didn't remove this one.I received it with a used gear legs set that I bought for spares.

But I don't see any problem removing the center bolt...Why would you ''ruin'' it ?

but ,,yes..better have spare bolts...in case

Hi Al,

I didn't remove this one.I received it with a used gear legs set that I bought for spares.

But I don't see any problem removing the center bolt...Why would you ''ruin'' it ?

but ,,yes..better have spare bolts...in case

Jacques,

I hit that bolt with rubber hammer, plastic hammer and even 16 oz. steel hammer (block of wood for protecton) and it wouldn't budge. I'm sure there's some trick or gimick. If you look at the picture in the Service Bulletin you can see they have removed the plate with the bolt in place. Roger said visual inspection is sufficent so for this annual I'll leave well enough alone.

I REALLY like your idea of having a stash of spares. Where did you find the used gear legs set?

al

AL, you are on the right path. The bolts have to have ALL the pressure off of them before they will come out. Once the wing is up, now there is pressure in a downward fashion from the wheel/brake assy weight. Jack up the gear ever so slightly until the center bolt spins easily. Then, and only then, you can use an air ratchet with a deep well socket to back out the bolt.

When it comes to re-attaching, here is the "trick":

Take a bolt the same size and grind the threads down and create a taper. Position the gear led and tap in the greased tapered bolt you just made. Now put the 4 small bolts in and snug them (they should all go in by hand). Remove your tapered bolt and install the permanate center bolt with your air ratchet. It sound go in effortlessly. Then, marvel at the job well done and treat yourself to a cold beer. B)

This should help making this procedure an easy one and not do any damage to you airframe.

Tad,

Thanks a lot, I knew there had to some kind of procedure. Because I use the engine hoist to lift the wing I can precisely position where where I want. I thought it might be somthing like what you say so I did let it down slightly to let the tire just touch. Apparently I was on the right track but didn't finese it just right. Your technique for reassembly sounds great, thanks.

Roger said visual inspection was acceptable and since I didn't see any indication of cracks I'll probably wait until next annual to do a Magnaflux.

Thanks again for the input,

al meyer

UPDATE>>>

I made a replica on my engine hoist. I used it on a 100 hr insp on a LS. Worked wonderfully.

My customer liked MY invention and was impressed with MY ingenuity.

I took full credit for being so darn smart B)

But I felt guilty and had to tell him I got the idea from a stinkin ROOKIE!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Of all the tools I've welded, bent, glued, chopped.... this one has to be the most utilized. Thanks for the tip Rookie. I owe you one.

Archived