Oil Change Interval

NC Bill

My ROTAX 912ULS has 370TT. The first 330 hours it ran exclusively on 100LL + Declan.

I've begun using 93 octane whenever possible.

I'm coming up on 25 hrs since the last oil/filter change - the mark at which I was changing oil when I used 100LL exclusively.

My fuel log says more than 70% of fuel used has been mogas since the last change.

If I keep the mix in that ballpark can I now extend my change interval to 50 hours?

Hi Bill,

Change your oil now to start over.

Let's look at it this way. If you run 50 hrs. at a rate of 5 gal. an hour that is 250 gals. 30% of that is 75 gals. which is approximately 2 tank fulls. If that's all you use and don't always mix the 100LL with your 93 oct. then 50 hr. changes would be ok. Any more than that drop back to 25 hour changes.

Let me put the questions a different way.

After 300 hours using nothing but AVGAS, can you switch over to MOGAS and extend the oil change interval?

What is the minimum percentage of MOGAS you should use between oil changes to extend the interval to 50 hours.

And for extra credit! Is that HOBBS or FLITE HOURS used to determine oil change interval.

Hi Bill,

I love Jeopardy questions! biggrin.gif

The first question (for $200 Alex) is an absolute yes you can switch any time you want.

Second question (I'll take $600 Alex) answer from Rotax is 70%, but I would go out of my way to raise the amount of 93 Oct. It will save you wear, tear and extra maint. later.

Double Jeopardy for $1500 Alex:

What is a Hobbs Meter!

The Hobbs only runs when there is 15 psi of oil pressure or greater. The tach is variable with engine rpm and should not be used. It is approximately 20% off.

Finial Jeopardy:

Since you plan on using some 100LL then use a semi synth oil like Aero Shel Sport Plus 4 because a full synth will not suspend the lead.

p.s.

Since you plane on 93 Oct. 70% or more of the time why not plan on using it 90%-95% of the time.

Did I win? laugh.gif

Did I win? laugh.gif

"There are 2 questions in the FINAL JEOPARDY round" said Alex.

First: Where can one find 93 octane mogas 90-95% of the time?

Hint: Maybe an addition to the CTFLIER forum? Hmmm...

Second question: How do you get the Emoticons to appear?

Confession: When I drag/drop them they just replicate the script - no image.

Hi Bill,

Use any 91 oct. or higher auto fuel from any gas station. You don't need to worry if it has ethanol. On trips don't worry about it.

I don't drag and drop. Just double click the emotion face you want.

Go in your settings and make sure this is enabled and see if it makes a difference.

" Enable visual (RTE) editor?"

But don't do that if you're on an iPad -- the keyboard will disappear :rolleyes:

Simply type away then click the appropriate emoticon (from the left hand palette) and the ASCII equivalent for the emoticons will be inserted at the current point. :P:D

Good Afternoon, Folks.

Here in Minnesota we have many gas stations that carry "boat gas". It's 91 octane non-oxygenated (whatever that means) gas without ethanol. Currently it is selling for about $3.95 up here. My local CT mechanic says it is just right for my CTLS. Perhaps you have some dealers that carry that stuff, at least near the marinas.

I got tired of carrying five-gallon cans back and forth to the airport and trying to hold 30 pounds of fuel above the wing as it SLOWLY fed into my wing tanks, I decided to try something else (no airports within 200 miles carry MOGAS in my area.) I bought a combo farm transfer tank and toolbox combination for my pickup. The fuel tank holds 75 gallons and I have a nice sized tool box now to hold the extra stuff. I then purchased a fuel pump for the tank, an in-line filter, and 14 feet of hose, a gas-station-type fuel dispenser handle, and some grounding cables: total cost about $600.

A bit pricy but I have exactly the fuel I want and can dispense it when I want at about $1.70 a gallon savings over 100LL. Plus, I have this enormous reserve fuel tank for my truck.

Archived