Oil Analysis

Roger Lee

Hi All,

Just a note. If you have done the small mod for the extended 2000 hr Rotax TBO they want you to do oil analysis. I happen to use AvLabs, but you could use anyone that is used to processing Rotax 912's. The oil analysis kit cost $19 and is all inclusive including return shipping to send your sample back. They run it through the test 3 times and will call you if a red flag pops up. You can get your results on the web or through your own email. Then hole punch these and keep them with your maint. check off list for your annual.

If you don't qualify for the extended 2000 hr TBO then you should still be doing the oil samples at each annual. If your a flight school and putting on mega hours then sample more often than the annual.

http://www.avlab.com/amelia/search.asp?advnav=&action=Search&store=&cat=1318&subcat_84=1318&ShowImages=&ShowDetails=&menuID=1~1&id=1

• 2 months later...

Just for comparison.

The attached file shows the results of 2 oil analysis. The first was taken at TT 178 (Oil time 30 h) and the second was taken at TT 209 (oil time 60 h).

I am sorry for the file to be written in German. As I know you guys, you are smart enough to find the important informations anyway :rolleyes:

@Roger: Compare the values for lead with your analysis.

Markus

Oil-Analysis.pdf

Hi Markus,

My oil analysis for lead is very close to yours. Your 1 mg/kg of Pb is equal to 1 part per million of Pb. Yours is very much the same results as we get here in the US. Do you use 100LL all the time or auto fuel?

My lead can run from a low of 650 ppm up to 1400 ppm if I had used a little lead.

Hi Markus,

My oil analysis for lead is very close to yours. Your 1 mg/kg of Pb is equal to 1 part per million of Pb. Yours is very much the same results as we get here in the US. Do you use 100LL all the time or auto fuel?

My lead can run from a low of 650 ppm up to 1400 ppm if I had used a little lead.

Roger, you are confusing me :rolleyes:

The analysis I attached shows 23 ppm Lead. The value for lead in the analysis you have posted here shows 1177 ppm. This makes me wonder.

We burn 100LL very seldom and in 99% of all cases we burn auto fuel.

Regards

Markus

Archived