Seat Belt Issues

Flying Bozo

Has anyone solved the problem of the seat belts slipping and loosening up and the way that they keep falling off your shoulders? I have used a velcro strap to hold them together at the shoulders but that is sort of a rube goldberg solution. The way that they come around the top back of the seat makes it impossible to keep them from falling off the shoulders. Any good solutions out there?

Larry Minch Cottonwood, AZ (Flying Bozo)

Here's the real problem.

There are basically 3 grades of webbing. The thinnest and most pliable is what FD uses. Then there is a middle grade (a little thicker and a little less pliable and a the top grade which is really thick and not very pliable at all. I used to use these webbings when I owned my last business. The middle grade is what we used and it is what FD should use. The top thicker grade is too stiff and thick. The non slip buckles don't work for .02 cents with the thin webbing. They need to use the middle grade so the belt has enough thickness and stiffness to stay put. I just use two velcro straps on my harness at my upper chest level and they work just fine. I hope FD reads this and changes its web material to the next grade higher. I suppose you could yank the harness and have a shop redo them with the next grade webbing. It may not be legal, but you could file an LOA or......

Thanks Roger for the tutorial. I am using the velcro also but it seems like that should not be necessary with all the rest of the plane being so well thought out. I guess until further better things come along I will continue to use it. On another note, I am looking for the fuel filter on my CTSW so that I can determine if it is plastic or metal because I want to start using auto fuel. Where is it, can you tell me? While I was hunting around under the cowl I was looking at the fuel lines and it appears to me that the pump circulates fuel to the gascolator and back. Is that correct and is that to prevent vapor lock?

Lots of questions here, hope it isn't overload.

Larry Minch (Flying Bozo)

Hi Larry,

The fuel filter is in the instrument panel. Pull out the top left panel and the bottom center panel to have good access. Look straight back from the lower center panel towards the interior firewall with a flashlight. Pulling the top left panel just adds better light and you can also get a hand down inside each place if you need to do maint to it. You will see it. It is either plastic which was supposed to have been thrown away long ago and you should have an aluminum one.

Comforting to learn I’m not the only one. Until now I thought it was an issue of size; or in my case lack thereof. I too have gone the Velcro route with less than satisfactory results. I’m now working on a new idea using straps with snaps. If it works I’ll post it. Strange that FD hasn’t come up with something better or at least a different option.

al meyer

Archived