Stabilator Trim Wheel

rookie

I need some advice on stabilator trim control wheel. I have tight & loose spots. This is very noticeable when doing touch & go’s doing a lot of adjusting. Prior to doing the annual I thought this was some kind of aerodynamic effect on the stabilator since adjustment became easy as I found “the sweet spot”. However while doing the annual I found the same thing happens on the ground in a static state. The wheel is very tight in some positions and very free in others. Actually when going from a tight position to a lose position it will “free wheel” to the loose position. Does not seem to be the wheel it self.It appears to me the cable has “taken a set” in certain positions. When the cable is in that position the wheel is free, when it’s not the wheel is tight. Any thoughts or suggestions?

al meyer

Hi Al,

It may be a more normal condition so long as the stab doesn't change on its own. It can be tightened a tad if you feel it is too loose. Mine is easy to move, the aileron wheel is harder to move and the rudder is very easy to move and as you say sometimes feels a tad loose when going from the right to left until it loads up a little. Like you said your pitch may be in a sweet spot and the pressure is extremely light.

Archived