Creaking at the Stabilator Pivot

My friend's CTLS has a very noticeable creak when the stabilator is grabbed at either the left or right outboard ends and moved either fore or aft. I can reach inside the fuselage and get my fingers on the right side bearing area and can feel the creak coming from this stabilator pivot bearing area. I know that the bearing pivot nuts should be checked for proper torque occasionally so the plan is to remove the stabilator in order to get to this area and inspect and re-torqe the pivot nuts. Has anyone noticed creaking coming from this area? Is it maybe something like a loose bearing retainer allowing this retainer to move slightly in the fuselage?

Hi Dick,

I would bet it isn't an issue, but you are absolutely right to check the torque on the stab pivot pin nuts. (200 in/lbs) It may just be a little plastic creak or even a little metal where parts pivot in the stab assembly. Use a little spry lube on these parts and maybe it will go away.

If that doesn't work wear better ear plugs. rolleyes.gif

Roger, there's a lot to be said to your philosophy of 'wearing better ear plugs'! The other day during taxiing out to fly I needed to readjust my headset. I shut down the engine and let the CT keep rolling and then removed my headset. I didn't realize that I had so many noises. Creaking from the gear legs, taxiway surface input from the gear and finally squeals from the brakes when I stopped the plane. Guess I won't complain about my non-noise cancelling Soft Comm headset not attenuating noises anymore!

A year or so ago I noticed mine had the same creaking noise when I grabbed the end of the stab and pulled/pushed fore and aft. I checked the torque on the two bolts that hold it on and found they were way low on torque. Adjusted to factory specs and have not had a problem since. Try it. It's always good when there is low hanging fruit like that!

Archived