Fort Walton Beach

S3flyer

Florida Panhandle Flyers (or at least Ken :)),

My daughter is based at Eglin AFB and I've flown into KCEW (Crestview) just north of the base. Coming in on a pretty much straight-line course from north of Dallas allows me to miss the restricted areas and minimizes my time in the active MOAs/Alert areas of Northern Florida. KCEW is great airport and you sometimes see some interesting military aircraft in the pattern. Now then, my daughter lives between the AFB and beach (what 22 year old wouldn't want to live on the beach ;)) and it takes close to 45 mins for her to pick me up/drop me off. Not a huge deal but KDTS (Destin) would be more convenient for her.

This puts me right through lots of military airspace. I'm comfortable with the radio being a former cloud flyer but is there a prefered route through the area? I was thinking of coming into the CEW VOR, which keeps me north of Whiting NAS, the going SSE to KDTS which puts me over KVPS.

Thoughts?

The sectional for Jacksonville has the preferred routes listed in the Gulf of Mexico below the panhandle. There are some other lighter blue? arrows that show the preferred routes. You can stay near the coast coming from Mobile and fly along the beach to Destin without talking to anyone ( I believe). If you don't have a Jacksonville sectional, look on skyvector.com.

• 1 month later...

You pretty much are required to be on flight following or have To contact the controlling authority to get into any of the airports in the area. I was looking for some local knowledge on preferred routes. This area is one of 4 Part 93 airspaces so it has some complication. Actually found an online course from FAA safety (wings program) about the area and how to transit or land/take-off from the area. Worth the 30 mins to take it.

Archived