CTLSi withDynon 10 in. HDX Pitot static and ELT test procedure.

Blueyonder

6 hours ago, Anticept said:

Did you mean transponder check?

Hi.

Yes, Xpndr only in this LSA. There are some that are actually IFR certified.

It my understanding that if you turn on the Master / breakers and not the and do start the engine, it may not be a complete / proper test?

There could be some interference from the engine when started? This one particular plane does seem to have a lot of noise on the coms in some range, and if you tap the panel it tends to go away for a while and then return.

I do not recall having any transponder issues but I am just thinking that it may be a good practice to have all systems, engine on ...  to properly test it?

Transponder test is done with  transponder on , should take about 15 min if radiated. Engine is not run. Other avionics can be on or not. The transponder can even be done on the bench but I never liked to do it that way as the antenna coax can pull the frequency out of limits.

Hi everyone.

Thank you, for the feedback.

I was aware that the Xpndr it can be tested on the bench but just about every radio shop does not want to do it that way.

This was reliable,  working before the test and I hope that it will stay that way. I've dealt with some older models 172s that were very difficult to test and keep them working reliably.

9 hours ago, Blueyonder said:

Hi everyone.

Thank you, for the feedback.

I was aware that the Xpndr it can be tested on the bench but just about every radio shop does not want to do it that way.

This was reliable,  working before the test and I hope that it will stay that way. I've dealt with some older models 172s that were very difficult to test and keep them working reliably.

Older transponders used cavity tubes for the  power output and were prone to drifting of the frequency and required readjusting which sometimes can be a little time consuming on some. The newer transponders no longer use them and are more reliable and easier to adjust if needed. 

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your feedback.

It was done in the plane and with the engine Not running, and at this point I have no feedback. If something unusual shows up I will post here at a later date.

I have another question, maybe I should start another topic?, pertaining to the same acft. Certain freqs, i.e. 121.800... are very noisy and if you tap the top of the instrument panel it goes away for a while and then returns. Any feedback, similar issues?

Edit: Radio is Garmin GTR 225, Antenna GXM42   (GA27C?).

Thank you.

That's an avionics shop question. Sounds like you have a bad connector or line.

Radio is a very complex subject that has a lot of considerations. It's not unusual for certain frequencies to act up on you despite being in the middle of the band range that the installation is designed for.

apertaining to the same acft. Certain freqs, i.e. 121.800... are very noisy and if you tap the top of the instrument panel it goes away for a while and then returns. Any feedback, similar issues?

Edit: Radio is Garmin GTR 225, Antenna GXM42   (GA27C?).

Thank you.

Maybe the squelch needs adjustment? Won't hurt to try.

More than likely something is loose. I found over the years that amateur wiring harnesses present many of the issues. Sometimes the only way to correct these issues is to start over with someone who is experienced in avionics wiring. FD wiring as a whole is a disaster. Also get the radio bench checked first, then look at the wiring, plus most A&Ps are not good or qualified to install avionics and this is where I have seen a lot of issues over the years.