Teflon Hoses from Aircraft Specialty

Ken

Has anyone used replacement fuel and oil hoses from these folks?If you have what was your experience with the hoses and customer service? Any downsides to these types of replacement hoses?  Are they worth the extra cost?

Ken

N296CT

7 minutes ago, Ken said:

Has anyone used replacement fuel and oil hoses from these folks?If you have what was your experience with the hoses and customer service? Any downsides to these types of replacement hoses?  Are they worth the extra cost?

Ken

N296CT

I just did all my oil & fuel lines with them.  If you talk to Steve, he can probably use the hoses he did for me as a template if you have a CTSW. 

Steve made it super easy, his service is second to none.  When I had an issue with a hose length (my fault, not theirs) he emailed me back and forth while on vacation out out the country to make sure I got a replacement hose in just a couple of days.  They really can't be beat.

Also did the fuel hose replacement, and changed some things around while I was at it.  Highly recommend it.  Worth the price?  That's up to you.  I like having the "aircraft grade" (I know I am going to catch some flak for using that term) integral fire sleeve hoses on my plane.  Steve also worked closely with me to help make sure that I had all of the hose lengths correct for the changes that I was making.  Steve was very helpful and made a suggestion or two that was very helpful while changing over from the banjo fittings (which I don't like for some reason, never had issues, just didn't like) to AN fittings.  Overall, a very good experience and while a little on the expensive side, they last longer and will probably pay for themselves in the long run, not having to replace them every 5 years + maintenance costs (or on condition if experimental and that's your thing...).

I changed most of my engine fuel lines to certified aircraft quality lines but also changed all fittings to AN. To me it's well worth having better fuel fuel lines which I no longer need to change.  I also had the stainless carb lines which were a pita.

10 hours ago, Madhatter said:

I changed most of my engine fuel lines to certified aircraft quality lines but also changed all fittings to AN. To me it's well worth having better fuel fuel lines which I no longer need to change.  I also had the stainless carb lines which were a pita.

I did the AN conversion as well.  IMO if you are going to teflon it's not worth using non-AN fittings.

BTW all the hoses from AS are hydrostatically pressure-tested to 2000psi.  Quite overkill for a CT!

One area that is a hard one to deal with, is where the fuel lines come through the firewall from the A-pillar.  Those are hard metal lines with integrated barb fittings.  The only way to convert those to AN would be to cut off the barb and then weld in or otherwise attach an AN fitting.  I opted to not deal with that at Steve's suggestion.  I got an AN-to-barb adapter on each side and just have a little 2" or so rubber line "jumper" connecting the two barb fittings, and then covered with firesleeve.  It's a little clunky, but very easy to get to and inspect at annual and having that one tiny piece of rubber doesn't cost me any sleep, since there's already rubber at the tank bulkhead-to-pillar line junction.

I removed the metal filter behind the panel since I don't have a fuel flow cube that needs protecting.  If you wanted to retain the filter but wanted all AN behind the panel like what I did, you could put a filter covered in firesleeve on each side just past those pillar barb fittings.  As long as you use the correct metal filters and not the old plastic ones, I think they'd be fine there. 

On 6/23/2023 at 7:49 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

The only way to convert those to AN would be to cut off the barb and then weld in or otherwise attach an AN fitting.  I opted to not deal with that at Steve's suggestion.  I got an AN-to-barb adapter on each side and just have a little 2" or so rubber line "jumper" connecting the two barb fittings, and then covered with firesleeve. 

I don't see any other way to connect the barb other than with a run of rubber hose.  Welding a fitting to that hard line would be a disaster in that location, too much heat for the nearby composite.  When I converted to teflon hose with AN fittings I ran the rubber hose from the left and right A-pillar barbs to a "t" fitting using barb to AN and ran teflon hose through the firewall.  It was a compromise - a bit more rubber hose in exchange for one fewer connection on each side.