Wiping Bugs Off Wings, Prop, Nose, Fairings

Newkentboy

Ok, just bought a 2019 CT Super Sport.  Expect to take delivery on Monday.  Got my 5 hour insurance checkout in Tulsa on Thursday.  Noticed a big accumulation of dead bugs on the leading edge, nose bowl, prop, etc.  With my former Cessna 170, I found that “Tub O Towels” was great in getting rid of the residue without resorting to some high priced gunk from one of the aircraft supply companies.  I’ve never had a composite aircraft before and I don’t want to use anything that might ultimately harm the surface.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Getting on them while fresh, a quick wipe down with wash mit and just water does the job.  Composite Clean wax is recommended, I like it and helps to keep surface slick for next round of clean up.  

Another point to pay attention to is use care when fueling, the composite foam structure can dent if you place enough force on local area.  And don't stress the fuel cap rings with nozzle.

Plexiglass window cleaning and care will have lots of opinions.  I soak surface with non ammonia based glass cleaner, once the bugs soften a wet micro fiber towel for clean up.  Then a carnauba spray wash n shine wax by turtle wax.  My windows are mint.  Has been the technique I've been using last 25 years all airplanes.   I'm sure the plexiglas specific cleaners are good, but I see value in having a slick wax on the surface for next round of getting dirty.

A buddy of mine just turned me on to what he wipes his very nice home built with.  It's called "Mr. Detail" and you can get a gallon jug pretty cheap on Amazon.  It's safe for all painted surfaces, and Plexiglass & Lexan.  His airplane always looks pristine, so I think I'll try it...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IEGC230/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1RV9VWJKJ7Z63&psc=1

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

A buddy of mine just turned me on to what he wipes his very nice home built with.  It's called "Mr. Detail" and you can get a gallon jug pretty cheap on Amazon.  It's safe for all painted surfaces, and Plexiglass & Lexan.  His airplane always looks pristine, so I think I'll try it...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IEGC230/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1RV9VWJKJ7Z63&psc=1

I would be cautious until I knew that it was a neutral Ph.

12 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I would be cautious until I knew that it was a neutral Ph.

I don't think it matters if you're spraying on a painted surface and wiping off.  Ph problems only occur if the solution gets to the foam inside the composite.  I use a Ph neutral bucket wash (Composiclean) for that reason, but for spray on/wipe off products that will never touch the composite, I don't worry about it.