Which Antifreeze Should I Buy?

Newkentboy

I have a 912is.  Without getting into all the chemical properties and such, which antifreeze should I buy at my local auto parts supply store.  I know the mix is 50:50 and some comes pre-mixed or some have to be mixed.  I just am asking for a specific brand name recommendation.  Thanks.

Look at the color of the coolant in the overflow reservoir. If it is orange use the Dexcool. If it has any other color, check the logbooks for a clue. It may still have the original coolant which I beleive you can get from a BMW motorcycle dealer. Or you can drain, flush, and switch to the Dexcool.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

Look at the color of the coolant in the overflow reservoir. If it is orange use the Dexcool. If it has any other color, check the logbooks for a clue. It may still have the original coolant which I beleive you can get from a BMW motorcycle dealer. Or you can drain, flush, and switch to the Dexcool.

Good point, don't mix coolant colors/types.

I use Dex-Cool, as well (the orange stuff).  Remember, "Dex-Cool" isn't a particular brand, rather, it is a specification.  Several companies make antifreeze that meets "Dex-Cool" specifications.  As long as it says Dex-Cool on the container and is diluted 50-50 (if you buy full strength and dilute at home, remember to use distilled water) it will work.  As Tom noted, if the airplane does not have DexCool, you will have to make a decision.