Fuel Leak from Carb

GrassStripFlyBoy

Have been noticing fuel smell at time of take off, and seeing signs of leaking on LH drip tray.  Floats are normal, and fuel level appears normal too.

Pic's of fuel shut off hanging opening, and with needle just touching shut off position.  Anything noticed, or what else is there to check / adjust?  Thanks.

image.png.6817527c6574efa79ab1712f47c82b7c.png

image.png.fadbd12ed381b009df8e3a68255798a7.png

image.png.ac9e1dac80721c7ed6211fb7831e6a42.png

1 hour ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Roger to the rescue, thanks for the help.  Adjusted the float lever arms to fuel shut off needle, was just out of spec low, test run - so far all dry.

And I have a new appreciation with steel fuel lines, yup - they are a bugger when pulling carb.

It's so easy for these to get out of spec by getting bumped or just normal wear from movement.  I made a tool from angle that has the correct height marked on it, so when I flip the carb over I can lay the angle across the bowl gasket lip and match the mark up with the float arms.

Glad you got fixed up!

I've had a leak on the pilot's side for years.  It only happens when flying, and rarely happens when I fly in smooth air.  The drip pan is dry when I'm on the ground. I have a nice fuel stain on the pilot side of the plane from years of this. 

Tom Jr. suggested replacing the float bowl and gasket.  He says he's seen some warped ones.  Thoughts Roger?

They were supposed to be replaced in 2022 as part of my 5 year rubber but , according to the mechanic they “somehow missed it” so the rubber for these sockets was effectively from 2017.

Once I found that one , I replaced both myself ( the other side was still perfect )

There is a spacer so theoretically it should not have been possible to over tighten it too much so I am not sure why this happened …

21 hours ago, opticsguy said:

Tom Jr. suggested replacing the float bowl and gasket.  He says he's seen some warped ones.  Thoughts Roger?

You can try lapping the bowl gasket face....get a glass plate, put some 1200+ grit sandpaper on it wetted with oil, flip the bowl onto it and rub the face very lightly on for 15sec or so.  This will remove any burrs or imperfections.  Don't overdo it, it only takes light pressure for a short period.

I did this on one if my bowls and it helped with a leak I had.

11 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

You can try lapping the bowl gasket face....get a glass plate, put some 1200+ grit sandpaper on it wetted with oil, flip the bowl onto it and rub the face very lightly on for 15sec or so.  This will remove any burrs or imperfections.  Don't overdo it, it only takes light pressure for a short period.

I did this on one if my bowls and it helped with a leak I had.

That will work if you have the old style bowls. If you have the new style the guide pins for the floats stick out above the top of the bowl.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:11 PM, Tom Baker said:

That will work if you have the old style bowls. If you have the new style the guide pins for the floats stick out above the top of the bowl.

That’s true.  

The new bowls also don’t have complete pass through of the pin holes, which are another point of potential leaking (I’ve had it happen).  If it were me and I had the old style bowls, I’d replace them rather than try a fix.

Bowl's shouldn't leak. Usually damaged bowls come from the 914 from over tightening  the bottom bolt and warping the bowl. It could be as simple as the rubber gasket isn't  being seated in the grooved area well or the fuel really isn't  coming from the bowl sealed area and just looks that way.