MOSIAC impact?

EricB

Does anyone have any solid insight into what Mosiac will mean for CTLS series planes?  I know in Europe they are allowed -12 flaps which should increase speed slightly.  Will we be able to modify or replace the flap controller to do that?   These and other questions....

Please focus only on what is known and certain given that MOSIAC isn't quite certain either right now.

If you're looking for more speed, changing to an Eprop exceeds what could be gained with flaps deflecting another 6 degrees.  Or, possibly adding an Eprop variable pitch would be something above fixed performance.  On SW -12 gains about 2, maybe 3 knots.  I can manually drive mine to -12 and don't bother.

I don't think the impact will be major.  Weights won't change, though I don't know if an ELSA will be able to alter the gross weight with flight testing like an EAB can.  I don't think I'd mess with it.  Adjustable props would be good, but our Vne in the US is 145kt and you have to start thinking about how fast your cruise would be.  Going to -12° on the flaps might give you a little higher Vne, that's a question for the Germans.  I don't want my CTSW any faster unless I were to swap the tail for one without full-span trim (flutter concerns...already been down that road once!).

Unless something very compelling comes up, I don't think I'll change anything on mine.  It's great for what it is and I don't have any significant complaints.  If you want to increase performance and useful load, the best upgrades are the eProps propeller and EarthX battery.  Those together will gain you about 8-10lb useful load, way better cranking, and increase both your speed and climb rate.

The big question is:  who will be the first to engineer a retractable gear conversion?  I nominate Madhatter.  😁

6 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Flight Design will have to redesign the F2 to some degree to compete with the competition coming out now in the European and Eastern block countries. There are a lot of new planes coming out that will meet the new standards. 

You know that it has been more than 30 years since the end of the Soviet Union and the very concept of “eastern block” countries… 🙂 

22 hours ago, Warmi said:

I doubt adjustable prop would make any appreciable difference for cruise ( maybe a few knots ) unless your current prop is pitched for climb.

So.. it should help in climb, then? That'd be useful along with a gross weight increase.

The biggst thing a constant speed does is allow you to convert more energy into useful work in all stages of flight. However, when compared to a fixed pitch prop, you will find there's a negligible difference in cruise; that's because fixed pitch are optimized for around cruise as well (they might bias slightly towards climb performance).

Generally, they become almost necessary for higher power engines. For small engines the extra weight and complexity might not be worth it.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I think a constant speed prop will add more than a couple of knots to a CT.  In Europe they get 135kt or better from  CTs with adjustable props, from what I’ve read.

Well unless I am missing something  , by definition ,if your fixed pitch prop is pitched mostly for cruise, there wouldn’t be much for the constant speed prop to work with - you would get a huge boost in climb performance but not much in cruise.

• 5 months later...