Front wheel Fairing bushings / spacers?

Blueyonder

Hi everyone.

CTLSi 2014 front wheel has some rubber bushings, that are around the tug pins and also support the front wheel fairing, that seem to always get damaged at the annuals. Is there a PN for it, and source?

Is there a better way to do that it seems like the design is prone to heavy handling, maybe a nylon substitute?

Thank you.

PS I called FD / Airtime but no response yet, must be at Osh?

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Those are hand towbar only pins.

Hi.

Yes, I agree, we only use the Tow bar / mule power tug. It is interesting that FD does Not have a restriction, just a warning. If you try hard enough you can actually shear them just using a hand towbar.

Do you have any idea of a best way to handle these? They seem to need replacement every year. Is there a better way to handle them?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Blueyonder said:

Yes, I agree, we only use the Tow bar / mule power tug. It is interesting that FD does Not have a restriction, just a warning. If you try hard enough you can actually shear them just using a hand towbar.

Just remember you will likely bend or break other stuff that is not as easy to see or repair before you shear one of the steering lugs. If you noticed I said steering lugs, because as Corey said they are not for towing.

Flight Design really needs to put out a service bulletin to put placards on the cowling, fairing, or nose strut that says NO POWERED TUGS.

And to update the POH with that placard and tell people NO.

I know of a place that have had flight designs for over 15 years that didn't even know this and have towed these airplanes around. The nose isn't THAT weak but one hard brake or acceleration and it can bend or crack something.

9 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

If I remember right they are just a grommet, and would not be that hard to replace during maintenance. I'll have one here later this month, and Ill take a look. I don't remember tearing any up when I have had them apart.

The factory ones on mine didn't look like a standard grommet, but we found one in a grommet variety pack that fit perfectly.  I don't remember the spec on it, but it came from an aircraft spruce variety pack.  Has worked really well.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:49 AM, Anticept said:

..that says NO POWERED TUGS.

Hi.

Yes that is a good idea, or just Prohibit it in the Manuals. Problem with that is that most owners do not read the manuals.

The problem with the tow / tug pins is beyond the use, the pins get lose, no good way to keep them from that unless you use some type of thread cement / glue, and that is the time they are more prone to shearing.

The fix would be to  move the tow bar on the Wheel axis, like many acft have it presently.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:21 AM, Tom Baker said:

because as Corey said they are not for towing.

Yes, I agree it's just that there is no other way to do it?, and if you have a location where it's a steep incline, or take it to an unfamiliar airport / hangar where others manipulate it,  to push it in it can becomes an issues. It's not the best design in my opinion.

18 hours ago, garrettgee2001 said:

...came from an aircraft spruce variety pack. 

If you have some specs, ID, OD, Width / Length..., I would greatly appreciate it. That front end fairing support it's always been a problem from the first annual. Most Mechs do not know this acft.

Thanks everyone.

Hi everyone.

This is turning into quite a project / mission. Nobody seems to have any information about the Grommet / Bushing.... Nothing seems to be standard in the grommet world.

I made some measurements but I still need to get a couple of dimensions, the Thickness of the wall of the fairing and the Hole size?

The two PN that Spruce Acft has are not in stock, does anyone have a good idea of what is available in stock that may work best?

Thank you.

TowPinAllDimsSpA.thumb.jpg.2e0bacf814265bb0ce9c291ecb994a01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My former LSRM just used some slightly oversized nuts, one per side.  I’ve found stainless spacers at a local hardware store, that I intend to spray paint bright pink so when the little things drop out they should be easier to find.  Cost almost $1 1/2