Remote Oil Pressure hose for VDO Sender.

DJ Todd B

Barbed fittings by themselves aren't  the real issue. It's  over clamping and causing the barbs to cut into the hose. It's  an installer issue. I guy with a screwdriver can cause issues too when used improperly. Barbed  fittings are used in tons of applications without issues unless someone causes the failure. Mechanics and owners cause bolt and nut damage all the time when using a wrench and we don't get rid of all the bolts and nuts.

Roger, I was talking about oil pressure lines, and not barbed fittings in general. A barbed fitting on a gravity feed fuel line is okay, but for oil pressure that could go as high as 100 PSI I won't use them. I am not going to risk anyone's life or airplane to a barbed fitting on a oil pressure line. I will also not install one without a restrictor in the fitting that screws into the engine.

Hi Tom,

I've  tested 1/4"fuel injection hose on the barbed fittings when I did a relocation 14 years ago at 150 psi without any issues. This was as high as my compressor would go. This eas before oil sender relocation was a thing. Other LSA Mfg's  use fuel hose and barbed fittings here too without any issues. Most oil pressures for us are between 45 - 50 psi. This was just like  the recent test on the 50 psi hose on the FD fuel "Y" at the fire wall I did.  When I do test I usually double possible pressures to test both hose and fitting. Different hoses may have a real test rating 3-6 times it's published normal use pressure. I still believe many issues are caused by installers.

I have the Lockwood relocation kit on my CTSW, it was a pretty decent kit for about $100 when I bought it (probably much more money now).  It originally had a barbed fitting and was fine with zero leaks or issues for about 9 years (I used Oetiker clamps).  When I switched over to teflon hoses I replaced the relocation rubber hose with teflon and the barbs with AN fittings.  So far so good on that setup too.

11 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Hi Tom,

I've  tested 1/4"fuel injection hose on the barbed fittings when I did a relocation 14 years ago at 150 psi without any issues. This was as high as my compressor would go. This eas before oil sender relocation was a thing. Other LSA Mfg's  use fuel hose and barbed fittings here too without any issues. Most oil pressures for us are between 45 - 50 psi. This was just like  the recent test on the 50 psi hose on the FD fuel "Y" at the fire wall I did.  When I do test I usually double possible pressures to test both hose and fitting. Different hoses may have a real test rating 3-6 times it's published normal use pressure. I still believe many issues are caused by installers.

Roger, testing when first assembled and operational life are two different things. Every time you run the engine the hose is trying to expand and push off the fitting. You do what you want, but I will not use a barbed fitting for oil pressure.

On 8/13/2023 at 4:41 PM, procharger said:

Didn't know this was a big issue never had a this problem 2007 CT?

The factory position of the sender at the front of the engine is really bad for vibration, and the senders just aren't very sturdy and will fail often in that location.  I had two fail in three years.  Since I relocated the sender to the firewall I have had zero issues in seven years.  I also ran the ground wire directly to the negative battery terminal, and that provides more reliable sensor indications since the CT grounding is pretty weak.

I believe that it was the VDO sender hose that was burned through on the CTSW that I lost oil pressure on and force landed in the desert after it was relocated to the firewall. 

not saying relocation is a bad thing, but be aware of how you route the hoses.