CT Flap Solutions

Bulldog

Hi Everyone - In my 6 months as a CT owner, I've discovered that the flap system may just be the weakest aspect of an otherwise awesome plane, so I decided to reach out to Rich at Aircraft Extras, Inc. He makes various products, including a reflex positioning system, 20A relay boards, 10A relay boards, airspeed switch, and much more.

I asked if he would be interested in bringing to market a more robust relay board as an alternative to FD's. We did not discuss price yet, but as you can see on his site, the prices for his relay boards are very reasonable.

Does anyone by chance have details regarding the relay circuit board components and how they are wired? If so, can you please send them to me? 

Rich said that he may be interested in creating a complete system solution to fix our common flap problems, including relay boards, actuators/motors, switches, etc., but we still have to discuss that. 

Thanks,

Nick

@Anticept @FredG @Madhatter @FlyingMonkey @DownUnderFlier @Roger Lee

I know Rich Meske personally. He operates out of madison county airport!

We talked about a few things including developing an oil level sensor for the rotax oil reservoir.

We also already talked about the flaps and he was interested in taking a look to see what we can come up with. I forgot to follow up and this reminded me!

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

I know Rich Meske personally. He operates out of madison county airport!

We talked about a few things including developing an oil level sensor for the rotax oil reservoir.

We also already talked about the flaps and he was interested in taking a look to see what we can come up with. I forgot to follow up and this reminded me!

Awesome! I've given him everything that I've compiled so far - pictures, video, schematic, actuator spec sheet, links to the various flap threads here on the forum, etc. 

The enclosed relay system is nice, and a microcontroller could quite literally be an arduino R3 and 7 segment display (it has a watchdog timer in case it stops responding, the watchdog will restart the unit. It could continue to provide the flap settings like we have, but more robustly (replace the linear potentiometer with a hall effect sensor, a FAR MORE robust package). It can be made to monitor the power flow to the motor and stop movement much more easily to prevent overstressing the flap motor.

This would all make it much more field replaceable.

If one wanted, it could be made even simpler than that, the microcontroller could just display the degrees of flap deflection and you just have a momentary up, down, and override button.

I have his information. We already talked today in text.

I don't have the engineering schematics of the board and relays, but I do have the installation schematics, which is all we need to determine what wires are for what and can design drop in replacements.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the other flap thread as well:

------------------------------

Well, I ended up working with Rich Meske from Aircraft Extras, and he was able to repair my relay board. It's been 100% for about 5 hours now. Rich is very experienced with electronics, and I'd recommend keeping him in mind if you run into flap issues. His contact info is:

https://www.aircraftextras.com/ContactInfo.htm

Rich Meske P.E.
4908 Mc Kenna Ct.
Columbus, OH  43221
(614) 876-6345
sales@aircraftextras.com