Adding an auto pilot to a 2006 ctsw with dynon efis?

My 2006 Ctsw has dual dynon screens but came without autopilot.  I assume I should go with dynon servos but wonder if there is a kit I can buy with all the hardware needed?  I will need to do the installation myself so I’m hoping it’s not very complicated to integrate and wire up.   Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
Murray 

2 hours ago, Murray sibbeston said:

My 2006 Ctsw has dual dynon screens but came without autopilot.  I assume I should go with dynon servos but wonder if there is a kit I can buy with all the hardware needed?  I will need to do the installation myself so I’m hoping it’s not very complicated to integrate and wire up.   Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
Murray 

You will need to the autopilot controller (i think AP74) This is discontinued. 

I recently installed a full Dynon system and autopilot into my 2006 CTSW.

I found out from Flight Design USA that when CTSW's came off the line without autopilot the installation points for the servos were not enhanced.  

The area under the pilot seat where one of the servos are came with the standard core material.

Here are the instructions Flight Design USA gave me along with some pictures from my installation.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AEtumRfEaY2Z-OQ&id=5EFBEF8844C840F8!2624&cid=5EFBEF8844C840F8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As a new ctsw owner I’m getting an education.  So I understand I can’t add autopilot without the ap74.   If I could find a used one then it’s just adding servos ? So what is my next option? Cost being a key factor? I think a 7” new dynon will fit the ctsw mushroom? Then is it just adding servos? Maybe it’s worth going this route rather than a stand alone autopilot? And comments or experiences? Anyone want to sell a ap74?😀

The AP74 is only required if you are doing a Dynon AP coupled an older Dynon EFIS. I think if you are using a Skyview it is not needed. You can always do a Xcruze or if you can find one a used TruTrak. They would be independent from the Dynon system, but can still be coupled to a Garmin GPS. 

I believe ForeFlight can blue tooth a detailed flight plan to Dynon which can drive the Xcruze AP. Also Garmin panel mounted GPS’s, when selected as a source, will drive a flight plan through Xcruze via Dynon SV. The Dynon or Garmin configuration won’t allow one to fly/track a heading with the Dynon SV heading bug, but like you said, the XCruze heading knob will. 

On 9/1/2023 at 12:09 PM, Murray sibbeston said:

Sounds like a lot of cost.  So maybe installing a totally separate autopilot is cheaper if there is an issue with my 2006 era dynon.  Thanks for the reply’s.  

You could use the new Bendix-King Vizion AP, it's the replacement for the TruTrak Digiflight II series a lot of CTs came with.  Should be a fairly easy swap-in since it's a know installation.  You can replace one of your backup instruments if you have them with the AP head.

I bought a used Digiflight II from another member here and had Lockwood install it in my 2006 CTSW.  It was pretty straightforward, now that I've done a lot more work on my CT I'd probably tackle it myself if I had it to do over.  I had my backup VS gauge replaced with the AP head, you can see it underneath the EFIS on my panel:

image.thumb.jpeg.85d50562f3abf9e777a4e60dfb1685bf.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Having installed a trutrak myself, it's not that challenging and a few ways to tackle to pitch servo installation.  There are several posts on forum from me and others.  Main concern to watch for is depending on what control head you have the power pin was relocated, so having the correct manual & schematic is important.  I have FD drawings for servo install, and both wire diagrams on the head. Also need a longer bolt to replace on the roll control hardware that has proper bearing length and remaining thread, I have an extra if you can't source it local.  Happy to send pics and guide you through it.  AP is well worth the effort to install, both in capability and added resale value.  I made template for pitch servo bracket, and could fab another one of those easy enough.  You won't find SW specific parts for the install available anywhere, it's source hardware (rod ends, etc) on your own.  The Dynon "universal" install hardware package from Aircraft Spruce is handy for the pitch servo, but you'll need a longer rod depending on how and where you locate that servo.

Very good information.   I now remember reading about the problems.  I’ll make sure I update the hardware.   Any help I can get I certainly appreciate and I’m happy to get more details.   It’s winter here and I don’t have a hangar so once March or April rolls around I’ll get to it.  

I drive my "CT Pilot" autopilot on my '07 CTSW with a Garmin Aera 660.  I installed the Garmin myself, and it sends the info via one wire.  Once you set the correct baud rate it worked like a champ.  You will love, love, love having an autopilot.  It allows you to focus more attention outside the planeand reduces your workload ten-fold.  Long XC trips are a nothing, and you'll arrived so much less mentally fatigued.

• 3 months later...

This is the ten year old uninstalled trutrak I bought for the ctsw.  I realize I need to add some reinforcement to the mounting area and source some hardware.   Any comments on the capstan servo in regards to connecting it to the aileron bell crank? I see a solid rod the cables seem to attach to?  Mine just had the wheel and cables as I got it.  Also I have rod ends for the pitch servo but wonder where to source the rod with the 3/16” threads? 
can anyone tell me if my servos need the ad complied with? I’m not sure if these are affected? 
thanks. IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.2856aca617d5ef9ed4921f447cf1b083.jpegIMG_2881.thumb.jpeg.520ab2e83267bb1cf35b2cc365f6753c.jpegIMG_2878.thumb.jpeg.90ef75c48d30b2959d4a07f293478dc2.jpegIMG_2880.thumb.jpeg.e70b5f5000c185ced1d37d5205ea04f4.jpeg