Cowling heat damage

Bill3558

I have some similar (but worse) issues on the other side of my cowl opposite the muffler.  I think it's a combination of heat and the cowl flexing when removed and reinstalled.

I think all you can really down is lightly sand and repaint, and maybe put some reflective heat tape on the inner surface to mitigate the heat a bit.   But then you're reflecting heat back at the engine, so that might require some testing to know if it's causing other issues.

I have some paint cracks all over my airplane (2007 CTSW)...I think the factory paint was applied rather thickly and doesn't flex enough with the rest of the airframe, though it could also just be UV damage.  I have a body guy who's a pilot and has painted a lot of airplanes, and he's going to fix it for me.  I'll probably have him do the cowlings first since they're relatively easy, then maybe spend the money to have all the little airframe paint cracks repaired over the winter.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I have some similar (but worse) issues on the other side of my cowl opposite the muffler.  I think it's a combination of heat and the cowl flexing when removed and reinstalled.

I think all you can really down is lightly sand and repaint, and maybe put some reflective heat tape on the inner surface to mitigate the heat a bit.   But then you're reflecting heat back at the engine, so that might require some testing to know if it's causing other issues.

I have some paint cracks all over my airplane (2007 CTSW)...I think the factory paint was applied rather thickly and doesn't flex enough with the rest of the airframe, though it could also just be UV damage.  I have a body guy who's a pilot and has painted a lot of airplanes, and he's going to fix it for me.  I'll probably have him do the cowlings first since they're relatively easy, then maybe spend the money to have all the little airframe paint cracks repaired over the winter.

Also have plenty of similar flex cracks. Cowling, wheel pants, I think thats just the nature of the type of plane.