Help with my seat harness

Sbailin

I put my seat belt on and tighten the waist, then tighten the shoulder harness, the waist belt starts to ride up my chest. Is it supposed to do that? If I don’t tighten the shoulders to keep the waist tight, then the harness falls off my shoulder. What am I missing here?

thanks!

Five-point and six-point harnesses (those with an "anti-submarine" strap) do not have the problem you described.  My CTsw came with a four-point harness which seems to be what you are describing.  Some owners of experimental-registered FD aircraft have installed five point harnesses to deal with that problem - the antisubmarine strap keeps the lap belt from lifting from its proper low location when the shoulder harnesses are snug.  

Replaced mine with cam lock.  A simple option is to adjust everything as you want it, and then slip a webbing strap in to lock the tightness, I didn't search very long, you need something like these pictures, but with slots on the outside so it slips over both straps.  The downside is adjusting then becomes a pain, depending on how much clothing you're wearing.  I ferried a CT from FDUSA for a new owner, these were on straps from the previous owner, they worked fine.

image.png.0a538fa9524065b21f64cf7c47550426.png

image.png.3a1248a57606004c8e563390bd14ff22.png

7 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Yes, I found your old post. Sadly they are out of business. 

Most companies that made aircraft covers of this type are gone, I'm looking for a supercub front seat cover. There are huge numbers of industries gone that will probably never come back. I have been in the hat business for over 40 years and am one of the very few manufacturers of high grade panama straw hats left as I have recently found out. Aircraft industries are decimated in the US, that's why you see old 172's going for $125,000 now.

12 hours ago, Madhatter said:

My seat covers are 100% 1 inch thick merino sheepskin with no other fabric. Most auto upholstery shops do not use this quality. And yes it makes a difference, I can get automotive sheepskin all day long but it's not the same, been there.

Did you mail in a seat to get them done/sized?

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Did you mail in a seat to get them done/sized?

These are standard sizes for many types of seats. There is no requirement other than flammability standard on certified. It is only a seat cover and 100% sheepskin is not an issue. As far as LSA I couldn't tell you, but I wouldn't worry about it. Besides if FD doesn't get going on production and make money they will be gone and everyone will end up ELSA.

I had a custom leather sheepskin coat made for me about 20 years ago, the quality was outstanding. This guy operated out of a large gas station in Pennsylvania😄I just call him and he is still in business even on Sunday. He will make aircraft seat covers out of the highest quality very thick sheepskin.  His website shows how to measure the seat and his price is much better than any. I will be ordering tomorrow. He said aircraft covers are cheaper than car seats because of the compact size, I was quoted 200 to 250 ballpark.

The name is Pat Garrett Sheepskin

On 8/21/2023 at 10:45 PM, tevbax said:

I guess the better question.... any approved aftermarket seatbelts for SLSA through FD? Our seatbelts are past their prime and really need to be replaced. 

I replaced my belts with Crow and love then 100 time better than original belts.