Seat keeps reclining back, tricks?

So I had my seats taken out on my annual, and now whenever I sit in them after adjusting the recline it just goes far back. I spoke to someone here and they suggested they routed the webbing the wrong way when it was reinstalled. I switched directions and it still happens? Do the clamps just go weak over time? Do you guys all just put a knot in? I used a knot on the last flight and it did well on taxi but on takeoff the seat again reclined all the way. I feel silly that I can't solve this! Im thinking since I've routed the webbing both ways maybe the clamp device is just weak?

46 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

It's a pita. I'm looking at installing an aircraft quality turnbuckle and cable which would make adjustments easy.

You have to add a knot to keep from slipping.

In  my case then maybe two knots as my first one's didn't work ;). Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything .

On the CTLSi, they used a heavier strap, at least on the ones I have seen. If it is releasing the strap is routed wrong or the buckle is in the wrong position. I have seen them installed where the button on the buckle is being pressed when you sit in the seat. This will release the strap. The buckle has a cam action that it should tighten as the strap is pulled on. If you route it the wrong way through the buckle when you pull on it the cam releases allowing the strap to slip.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

On the CTLSi, they used a heavier strap, at least on the ones I have seen. If it is releasing the strap is routed wrong or the buckle is in the wrong position. I have seen them installed where the button on the buckle is being pressed when you sit in the seat. This will release the strap. The buckle has a cam action that it should tighten as the strap is pulled on. If you route it the wrong way through the buckle when you pull on it the cam releases allowing the strap to slip.

I do have a CTLSi, and I though that was my issue but I changed the routing. Any chance you can snap a pic next time your around your plane on how yours is routed? Thanks Tom! 

49 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

I do have a CTLSi, and I though that was my issue but I changed the routing. Any chance you can snap a pic next time your around your plane on how yours is routed? Thanks Tom! 

I don't have one to take a picture of. Maybe take a picture of yours and post it.

On 9/6/2023 at 3:01 PM, procharger said:

Ratchet strap works good

I had been looking for a ratchet strap for years (not very hard) that is just one single long piece of webbing attached to one side. I had just now discovered they exist and they're called "endless" ratchet straps, because they have no hook ends or anything.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:47 AM, Animosity2k said:

Here are a couple pix of the CTLSi seat strap. Hope it helps a bit.

2023-09-09 10.22.37.jpg

2023-09-09 10.22.31.jpg

2023-09-09 10.22.34.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The simplest way that I found was to tie the free end of the strap into a simple overhand knot.  Works well with my 260# butt that kept failing the strap buckle and left me in a panic looking up with a major stretch to maneuver the stick.

I wanted to give them a little more testing time before posting this, but they seem to be working so here you go.  I put these traps in my airplane and so far they are working out well, no slipping and my seat doesn't contact the rear bulkhead without tying a knot in the strap:

image.thumb.jpeg.a1a3894f69d9995512f460b2c78880df.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MTFQ4L?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

They have thicker webbing and larger, sharper teeth than the factory straps -- they fit right in place.  The straps are 9ft long so you'll have to either trim them or let them dangle behind the seats.  For $20 I think it's a good upgrade.

When I said tying a simple knot in the free end of the strap I should have included tying right at the exit of the clasp, not the actual end.  Simply loop the end immediately behind the strap, bring it around and then through the base of the loop, and pull.  

9 hours ago, ctbob said:

When I said tying a simple knot in the free end of the strap I should have included tying right at the exit of the clasp, not the actual end.  Simply loop the end immediately behind the strap, bring it around and then through the base of the loop, and pull.  

That's how my SW was as purchased, adjusted it once to my seat position most upright, and it's held since.