Want to buy a 2006-2007 CTSW

FlyboyA1

Tom,

If you were referring to my post, I’m  wasn’t referring to the calendar TBO. I think early 2006 and prior 912 engines had a thinner case that was prone to cracking compared to the updated version that was released mid 2006. I’m guessing you weren’t referring to my post though because your knowledge of these planes is light years ahead of mine, but just in case. By the way, it’s as good of a time as any to say thanks for all your advice on the forum!

850 hours on mine and no problems though.

Gents,

You are very helpful to me. I did not know that the lower TBO was due to a thinner case. I did wonder.

Or that the calendar life was "a ball in legal play."

Thanks to you both.

My background as an A&P and ASEL pilot is in Certified Aircraft.

This is good info that you all are sharing.

Thanks again!

Unlike Lycoming or Continental engines, it appears for the rotax 912 that most people simply buy a new engine when it’s time for a rebuild. The price isn’t much higher than a rebuild, and I think with a new engine you get new engine accessories, unlike Lycoming and Continental. I think the latest I read on here was about $21k for a new 912 and probably in the area of $15k for a rebuild?

There is talk on the forum of people flying the rotax way past TBO without issues too.

I don’t believe there is an airframe time limit, but if there is, most of the CTs are so low time you’ll never see the limit. I bought my CT with under 500 hours. My last 3 part 23 aircraft were all 3500 hours or more.

Again, there are some guys on this forum that know damn near everything about the CT series and I’m sure they’ll answer with more knowledge and confidence in their answers. I’m just throwing what I believe is true out there.

I'm fortunate my SW was built right at the 2000 TBO engine enhancement and have one of the first with serial number allowing extension.  That said, if a low / mid time engine non TBO extension serial number on a clean SW came up I'd not shy away.  First, reflect this in price of sale, second, place an E-Prop on it which takes mass of prop/hub/spinner down from ~14lbs to 4.4lbs, that is a remarkable drop in weight and stress on the nose of the engine.  Unless the issue is thrust force or some other dynamic, still 1500 hours on a 912 is a lot of flying time.

I agree. Mine is the lower time TBO, but the price and hours were right to buy it. Sure, I would have loved to get the better engine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I get over TBO anyway. I just like to point it out for those that are shopping. If I ever have to replace it, I’m sure the next engine will last longer than I will.

22 hours ago, Towner said:

Tom,

If you were referring to my post, I’m  wasn’t referring to the calendar TBO. I think early 2006 and prior 912 engines had a thinner case that was prone to cracking compared to the updated version that was released mid 2006. I’m guessing you weren’t referring to my post though because your knowledge of these planes is light years ahead of mine, but just in case. By the way, it’s as good of a time as any to say thanks for all your advice on the forum!

850 hours on mine and no problems though.

More directed to the OP who said they wanted the higher TBO.

On 9/9/2023 at 8:06 PM, Towner said:

Unlike Lycoming or Continental engines, it appears for the rotax 912 that most people simply buy a new engine when it’s time for a rebuild. The price isn’t much higher than a rebuild, and I think with a new engine you get new engine accessories, unlike Lycoming and Continental. I think the latest I read on here was about $21k for a new 912 and probably in the area of $15k for a rebuild?

There is talk on the forum of people flying the rotax way past TBO without issues too.

I don’t believe there is an airframe time limit, but if there is, most of the CTs are so low time you’ll never see the limit. I bought my CT with under 500 hours. My last 3 part 23 aircraft were all 3500 hours or more.

Again, there are some guys on this forum that know damn near everything about the CT series and I’m sure they’ll answer with more knowledge and confidence in their answers. I’m just throwing what I believe is true out there.

Thank you, Towner!

On 9/10/2023 at 4:19 AM, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I'm fortunate my SW was built right at the 2000 TBO engine enhancement and have one of the first with serial number allowing extension.  That said, if a low / mid time engine non TBO extension serial number on a clean SW came up I'd not shy away.  First, reflect this in price of sale, second, place an E-Prop on it which takes mass of prop/hub/spinner down from ~14lbs to 4.4lbs, that is a remarkable drop in weight and stress on the nose of the engine.  Unless the issue is thrust force or some other dynamic, still 1500 hours on a 912 is a lot of flying time.

Thank you!

You are very helpful to me!

Vince

oh, and an analysis of that 2006 CTSW:

• Price: $72,000 Underpriced by 19%
    • Likelihood of similar aircraft in next 90 days: 99% (Typically ≈5 similar aircraft available)
    • Likelihood of cheaper similar aircraft in next 90 days: 44%
    • Predicted 90-day price trend for similar aircraft: No discernible trend - market is stable right now.
    • Previous sales records on file: None

On 9/13/2023 at 3:17 PM, shiny.ice said:

oh, and an analysis of that 2006 CTSW:

• Price: $72,000 Underpriced by 19%
    • Likelihood of similar aircraft in next 90 days: 99% (Typically ≈5 similar aircraft available)
    • Likelihood of cheaper similar aircraft in next 90 days: 44%
    • Predicted 90-day price trend for similar aircraft: No discernible trend - market is stable right now.
    • Previous sales records on file: None

I did not expect this market analysis, Shiny.Ice.

Thank you very much!

Vince

• 4 weeks later...

I will be placing my 2007 CTSW for sale here soon.  480Hrs. Parachute good til Oct 2027.  All new rubber, carbs fully rebuilt, new fuel pump, new tires, new battery, new LED Position and Landing Light.  Basic gauges.  ADSB in and out. 

Located at 1O3, Lodi CA. NorCal.  

Asking 75K

Feel free to text/call at 209-817-2664