912 ULS engine runs rough on one ignition

FredG

912 ULS with 400 hours runs rough at about 3000 rpm.  During mag checks, the roughness is fairly pronounced on one ignition and not on the other (runs on either one).  The rough side has a 200 rpm drop and the non-rough side has a 100 rpm drop.  This persists at 3500 rpm and other values, as well.

When the six-pin plugs from the trigger coils to the ignition modules are swapped (B trigger coils to A module and A trigger coils to B module), the roughness changes side (ie, the single ignition switch position that was rough became smooth and the formerly smooth side becomes rough).  

Given the above, it should be no surprise that swapping the six-pin plugs from the ignition modules to the ignition (high voltage) coils also changed the side of the roughness.

Replacing the four trigger coils made no difference.

Rebuilding the carburetors made no difference.

The resistance tests of the ignition coils were within specification.

All eight spark plugs were replaced, no difference.

The resistance of the spark plug caps were tested, all were 5K ohms.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

Synopsis:

• Replaced both ignition units with new boxes ( A and B ), no improvement
  • Swapped the 6-pin plugs from the trigger coils to the ignition boxes (before and after replacing the ignition boxes with new units), the problem changed sides but didn't get better
  • Replaced the four trigger coils and set the gap, no no improvement
  • Rebuilt the carbs, no improvement
  • Replaced the spark plugs, no improvement
  • Checked the resistance of all eight plug boots, all good

Corey - ignition energizer coil is a possibility, thanks
Skunkworks - agree, ignition coils and ignition (plug) wires are still suspects

Thanks all for your input.

We have exactly tha same problem with 912ULS engine:

Testing ohms (not replacing) the four trigger coils , all are ok.

Rebuilding the carburetors made no difference.

The resistance tests of the ignition coils were within specification.

All eight spark plugs were replaced, no difference (by single electrode NGK).

The resistance of the spark plug caps were tested, all were 5K ohms aprox.

The resistance of the HV coils were tested, all ok, aprox 6K.

Modules A/B replaced by another different modiles.

HV coils replaced too.

Trigger coils on the back of the engine, gaps adjusted.
Important: mag switch wire is on six pins trigger coils connector, if the problem is triggers coils, changing this connector the problem stays im the same side.
I think this is valid for energizer coil too.

We hace changed HV wires too.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Sorry to here this, I know it's frustrating.  I've had issues like this in the past especially in avionics and some propellers. I don't doubt that you will eventually find it. Without having the engine it's hard to analyze anything. Maybe isolate each side completely and eliminate any chance of crossover interaction in wiring. Don't give up, you will find it. Then let us know so we don't have go thru sleepless nights like you will 🤣

Gabriel, you make an important point regarding the fact that the mag switch lead ("p"-lead or kill lead) is on the connector from the trigger coils. If the plugs from the trigger coils are switched, the problem will change sides for that reason alone, no matter where it is.  I was told to keep the mag switch lead connected to its original ignition module when switching leads from the trigger coils to the ignition modules.

2 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

Brett Lawton says multimeter ohms tests don't use voltage levels that are typical of those found in the ignition circuit.

Of course, I know that low DC voltage that multimeter uses is very different to dynamic conditions of voltage pulses at 4000 rpm or high spark plug voltages.

50 minutes ago, FredG said:

Gabriel, you make an important point regarding the fact that the mag switch lead ("p"-lead or kill lead) is on the connector from the trigger coils. If the plugs from the trigger coils are switched, the problem will change sides for that reason alone, no matter where it is.  I was told to keep the mag switch lead connected to its original ignition module when switching leads from the trigger coils to the ignition modules.

You don't need to do that, change the "P" lead. 
I describe my case:

Module A is connected inside my plane to right mag switch and Module B is connected to left mag switch.

1st step:

Setting OFF right switch (grounding P lead) I'm "stopping" Module A : Problems appear, I am turning off the module/branch in good condition.

Both ON again...

Setting OFF left switch (grounding P lead) I'm "stopping" Module B : There are not problems, I am turning off the module/branch in bad condition.

With this, I can assume that the problem is in anywhere on system connected to Module B (from trigger coils to sparkplug)

Flip horizontal connectors:

When I flip horizontal connectors from Modules A / B I'm changing trigger coils and P leads.

Remember that problems were in branch (all systems) connected to Module B (first step)

If problems now are setting OFF left switch (left is now connected to Module A that is OK ) is because trigger coil from branch B are OK. I'm turning OFF the good branch.

If problems are still setting OFF right switch (now is on Module A that is OK) problems are on trigger coils because the bad branch is now Module A (but Module A y HV branch A was fine in first step ).

I needed a drawing to imagine it better, editing it with 'paint' 😅

Regards

image.thumb.png.176da1045a25118279528566d2123eed.png

Gabriel, yes, it is possible to keep track of the ignition being tested while keeping the p-lead in its original six-pin connector.  I find it easier to test by moving the p-lead from connector to connector so that it stays with its original module.  Both approaches work.

I had some  engine running problems a while back replaced ignition switch

seems to be the only thing that fixed it. Did all the checks didn't find

anything wrong. My switch was sloppy and worn out. When turning the

key there wasn't much resistance between positions new switch was

three times harder to turn than the old one.

Dr. RoTech Engine Diagnostic Tool

By
 Mary Bernard
 -
February 2, 2012

Board_3.pngLight Sport Group has announced the introduction of its Dr. RoTech engine electronics analyzer for Rotax 912 and 914 series engines. Dr. RoTech was designed to assist aircraft mechanics, pilots and aircraft owners in troubleshooting the systems of the most popular line of Rotax engines. It will provide initial and preliminary troubleshooting information on all the major electrical system components described in the 912 powertrain maintenance manual when it is plugged into the six-pin plug on the Rotax ignition system, according to Light Sport Group.

DrRotechLights-300x204.jpgTroubleshooting electrical problems on the 912 series of engines previously required the use of a voltmeter and extensive knowledge of the aircraft’s electrical system. Dr. RoTech can plug directly into the ignition module’s connector or can detect which system you are testing if using the test lead/probe. Labeled green and red pass/fail lights indicate which systems are functioning properly. Dr. RoTech performs all of the required measurements of BRP-Rotax 912/914 Heavy Maintenance Manual section 74 paragraph 3.12, the company says, which include: the generator coil (on stator), charging coil (on stator), trigger coil (A&B), primary ignition coil (A&B), secondary ignition coil, spark plug connector, ignition switch and engine ground.

Dr. RoTech also offers PC support, allowing users to plug into a computer to obtain more specific information such as a failure counter for troubleshooting intermittent problems. The price is $499.99.

For more information, visit www.lightsportgroup.com/rotech.html.

Corey, thanks for the suggestion.

Procharger, thanks for your input.  Yes, a faulty ignition switch can cause these problems.  To test for that, the p-leads were disconnected from the six-pin connectors and temporary pins with ground wires installed.  The problem persisted even after the ignition switch circuit was removed from operation in this way.  The Dr. RoTech seems like a useful tool.  It will not, unfortunately, identify ignition coil or ignition wire faults.