E-Prop

Ken

My 2006 CTSW is in Tulsa for some repairs. I am considering an E-Prop install while it is there. The price installed prop, spinner, hardware etc is $2555.00. Fair price? What else might you suggest with this prop? Are there spinner options?  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best,

Ken 

N296CT

Definitely do the titanium.  I had an earlier version of the new V20 prop that had the non titanium, and used the smaller M4 screws in the spinner, and had two of them break, torqued per e-props.  They later changed the hardware out to M5 I believe and I had to retrofit mine to the M5 hardware.  Their support though was fantastic and overnighted me the drill bit and hardware when they found out the the spinner backplate screws had failed.  Definitely was not cheap for them to overnight from France to the US.

I like the prop well.  Definitely gets some looks and interest on the ramp.  Performance has been a little better than the stock Neuform I had (and a lot lighter).

If you plan on leaving it outside for short periods of time, I would also recommend the prop covers they sell.  I don't like unprotected carbon fiber sitting out in the sun, and the "prop socks" fit very well.  I don't tend to leave the airplane out, but when I do, I like it protected.

They do not sell the v12 non titanium prop anymore if I recall on my last conversation with them, only the v20.  The M5 bolts are standard now. I had to change mine and they were shipped free with the correct drill bit. You might want to consider titanium bolt kit, longer time between torque checks. Great company to deal with. I put on the first one in the US for a CT and they couldn't be nicer.

Ken, I have the E-Props and like it.  As Tom has mentioned, maybe he'll chime in, you may end up changing the engine mount donut rubbers so the engine is in the right orientation vis-a-vis the cowling so the spinner fits over the cowling flange as it is designed to.  I'll defer to Tom if he has more or other thoughts on this.

Has anyone had occasion to notice if over time the engine sags a bit and causes interference with the spinner and cowl?

6 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

Has anyone had occasion to notice if over time the engine sags a bit and causes interference with the spinner and cowl?

That's a question I've been wondering as well.  Since centering mine ~ 9 months back it's stayed in place, and my mounts are older & approaching change time.  I'm sure replacing mounts will drive adjustments again, then wonder how quickly the new rubber sags.  Might leave the mounts as is and well enough alone...

19 hours ago, Ken said:

My 2006 CTSW is in Tulsa for some repairs. I am considering an E-Prop install while it is there. The price installed prop, spinner, hardware etc is $2555.00. Fair price? What else might you suggest with this prop? Are there spinner options?  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best,

Ken 

N296CT

Sounds more than fair.  I think the prop & spinner are about $2k, so as an installed price I think that's a good deal.  I bought my prop NIB from AL Downs who never got to install it, and I went ahead and upgraded to titanium hardware before I installed it.  I have checked torque a few times and it never moves. 

As for sagging, my spinner is always close to the cowl (a few mm on one side), but I never had any rubbing.  The gap seemed to increase after I changed my engine mount isolators.  I think if you change your mounts every 5 years when you are supposed to you won't have a problem.  Just check the gap all around after install and if you have a few mm gap everywhere you should be okay.