On Condition Boost

Roger Lee

• Roger Lee changed the title to On Condition Boost
3 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Oil pushing $100/ barrel is the main culprit, every thing is made using fossil fuel, everything. Also jetA and 100LL is $9 at my airport, self service 100LL is $7. Be glad we can use ethanol auto gas. I help a friend maintain a T28, 60 gal/hr in cruise, 200+ gal/hr at takeoff. 

I fill our MoGas tank for 4.15/ gal, non-ethanol. We keep a 35 gal supply in our hangar at least until we get it on the field. 

13 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

I think going "on condition" at TBO just got a big boost. The 912ULS engine cost just went to $28K and that doesn't  include shipping or installation. That means over $30K for an engine swap.

JEEZ!!!!!!  I have a picture of Lockwoods price sheet from Airventure this year - 22,893 

This always opens the door for competitors, companies get too big and in- house beurocracy eventually brings them down with high costs out of control. Aviation is littered with examples. It looks like Rotax is going for the wealthier crowd with their new engines, they are no longer interested in us little people.

3 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

This always opens the door for competitors, companies get too big and in- house beurocracy eventually brings them down with high costs out of control. Aviation is littered with examples. 

True.  But S-LSA folks don't have those options.

BTW, my buddy bought a NIB Titan IO-320 180hp engine two years ago for $26k.  Spending more than that for a 100hp Rotax is getting out of hand.

11 hours ago, FredG said:

That might have something to do with the price of Rotax engines.

It does, coupled with Dollar lost ~9% to the Euro in past 10 months.  

The positive for us owners is with limited amount of CT's around, when the new birds are 200k + and climbing, ours keep increasing at a nice clip too. 

9 hours ago, Ken said:

I guess this opens up the debate on rebuilding to zero time vs. a new engine. I am guessing used engines are experiencing price increases as well so maybe the total cost is still a wash. 

Ken

Rotax is a manufacturer that does not allow rebuilding to 0 time. There's no pathway to do it, only manufacturers are permitted to 0 time engines.

Do you mean overhaul?

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Rotax is a manufacturer that does not allow rebuilding to 0 time. There's no pathway to do it, only manufacturers are permitted to 0 time engines.

Do you mean overhaul?

Engines can be rebuilt to factory new tolerances and new parts but not labeled as "0" time. This is done routinely on certified engines.

I am aware, but there are people who insist on literal zero time engines out there instead of "overhaul to new spec".

Really, I bet all lycoming does is move the dataplate to a new engine when you buy a re-man to 0 time it.

Rotax does NOT offer such a service.

Which I bet is part of the reason they don't hand out overhaul manuals, to try and prevent third party parts and overhaulers from popping up since there's not much data to base on.