Boise Bob

Boise Bob

Hello Folks.  I'm new to the CT Flier Forum but have been reading it for a year and had many helpful conversations with Roger.  I recently purchased a 2006 CTSW and have installed new tires on the original Marc wheels.  My questions concern the nose wheel that has a fairly distict shimmy and I need some advice.  1. I did not balance it and wonder if I can do so with it in place on the fork?  2.  I've read some about the suspension and recommended upgrade.  How can I tell if it has be done already or not?  3.  If not, does the forum have any "how too" posts and/or videos?  Thank you for your consideration.    

There's no shimmy damper on flight designs, some just shimmy a bit. Aside from tire balancing, you just have to get used to keeping the nosewheel light, which means apply a little back pressure on the stick early on during takeoff and keep the nose up on landing until you get slow.

That said, rudder tension helps, if it's a sloppy loose rudder (seen those), they do shimmy a bit more. There's also a possibility that the key or slot in the nose gear is worn.