912is fuel pumps

RON-P

I don't work on an IS engine and don't pretend to be knowledgeable with it. I guess I am uncomfortable with the fact that the engine is 100% dependent on two electrically driven fuel pumps, just not something I'm used to. I'm  used to dealing with engines with one mechanical driven fuel pump and one electrically driven fuel pump, lycoming, continental, wright, p&w, etc. I wonder how the reliability is on a lot of these engines as they accumulate a lot of hours. Just me

4 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I don't work on an IS engine and don't pretend to be knowledgeable with it. I guess I am uncomfortable with the fact that the engine is 100% dependent on two electrically driven fuel pumps, just not something I'm used to. I'm  used to dealing with engines with one mechanical driven fuel pump and one electrically driven fuel pump, lycoming, continental, wright, p&w, etc. I wonder how the reliability is on a lot of these engines as they accumulate a lot of hours. Just me

I always assumed the iS has a mechanical pump and an electric pump.  If they are both electric that seems a little weird.  I know they have two separate electrical systems to make sure the injectors keep working, but I'd be happier with at least one mechanical pump.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 9:43 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I always assumed the iS has a mechanical pump and an electric pump.  If they are both electric that seems a little weird.  I know they have two separate electrical systems to make sure the injectors keep working, but I'd be happier with at least one mechanical pump.

At least on my CTLS, you can hear the main (electric) pump right before the starter engages. It's typical that the 912iS has two electric pumps. Sure, it won't run if you don't have electrical, but the iS itself won't run without electrical either.