Fuel tank port

GrassStripFlyBoy

Preparing for wing pull & sight tube change.  Noticed threads on fuel line bulkhead fitting (in the small plate / wing tank access panel) shows some slight sign of fuel weeping.  What's the situation, appears I'd need to remove the pattern of fasteners and pull the whole bulkhead, redo fuel fitting with some sealant on threads, then reinstall?

While the tank is empty you can try removing the nut and applying Hylomar to the threaded area and tightening the nut back down. Otherwise the bulkhead needs to come off. Either buy a gasket from Flight Design, and they are pricey for what it is, or make one yourself. Hylomar on both sides of the gasket when it goes back together. Start your torque on the at around 80 in/lb, and go up from there if needed. If you have time you can cap the outlet and add fuel to the tank and inspect the next morning for leaks. There is nothing worse than having a fuel drip the next morning, and having to pull the wings and start all over.

14 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

or make one yourself

Much appreciate the detail, and yes I won't be in a rush so will give it time before reinstalling wing.  I have 1/32" thick cut*a*gasket material from the old tractor needs and what not, is that thick enough?  Never seeing this gasket, what's the construction type?

The OEM gasket is .030. Make sure you use a gasket that is suitable for fuel. I just replaced some gaskets on a fuel tank sending unit on a motor glider because they were weeping. It was the brown fiber untreated material. A gasket material with synthetic fibers bound with nitrile rubber would be best, like the blue one in Jacques' picture. 

4 hours ago, procharger said:

I had the fitting leaking I used marine grade epoxy which is gas resistant and it

worked on threads and around fitting behind washer no more leaks.

Marine epoxy is what was recommended for the CTLS where the fitting is in the composite. For the CTSW Hylomar will work better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 7:18 AM, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Preparing for wing pull & sight tube change.  Noticed threads on fuel line bulkhead fitting (in the small plate / wing tank access panel) shows some slight sign of fuel weeping.  What's the situation, appears I'd need to remove the pattern of fasteners and pull the whole bulkhead, redo fuel fitting with some sealant on threads, then reinstall?

You can easily seal that fitting in a few minutes without removing the bulkhead. I've done many and it only took minutes and I used Hylomar to do it and they never leak again.

11 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

You can easily seal that fitting in a few minutes without removing the bulkhead. I've done many and it only took minutes and I used Hylomar to do it and they never leak again.

Roger when you do this do you replace the gasket or just smear it with Hylomar?

I used Hylomar on the drain valve of my gascolator bowl, it's really good stuff.

You don't have to remove the bulkhead plate and gasket. You just have to address the leaking fitting and that can be done without removing everything. Plus don't get carried away with Hylomar. If you use too much and it squishes out it is not compatible with fuel and  it can float around and get in places you don't want it. Use a little, but don't glob it on.