Ctsw new brakes and wheel skis

Murray sibbeston

IMG_2372.jpeg.39e31f9e43c5505317b401216d743d18.jpegI bought a set of datum wheel skis. I need to extend the outer axle to mount the skis.   So I’m wondering what the Matco options are?   I’m in the ultralight category in Canada so no restrictions.   An extended 1” or 3/4” axle is required.   Any comments or experience with this? I’ve seen the videos of the plane on the same skis in Sweden    

Datum offers services for having adapters machined for different axles. Matcos are hollow axles. The instructions for their skis have a contact email and a bit of info about what you need to do.

Because of the type of seal matcos use, you will also likely need to protect the seals from being destroyed and too much strain on the bearings to mount skis. Datum's manuals have recommendations for this too for the use of spacers.

Not my picture.   I just wanted click bait and used one from the datum site.  There are two planes on utube with the skis so I know it’s been done.    I bought a used set of skis for cheap.   I’ll need to be careful as the nose wheel is delicate but in northern Canada it opens up a lot of country and increases the safety margin a lot.  I’m rebuilding my taylorcraft this winter so the ctsw is forced into bush plane life.  IMG_2976.thumb.jpeg.5c8d73fadba1a6c280de5672a081d1b4.jpeg

• 3 months later...

One input about the nosewheel ski, i made a mount that put the nose wheel 1/2” inch under the ski and it still creates a LOT of drag trough the snow. Feels like you release the brakes when it finally comes up with the stick full back.

IMG_6569.png