Advice for someone buying CTsw

renaissanceman

Hi all,

I'm looking at my first CTsw in person tomorrow and am looking for any feedback regarding things to look out for. I've owned several aircraft in the past and understand the general things to be aware of, but am hoping for some CT specific advice.  It is a 2006 model and I know the rubber and chute are due next year.

I've hoped to become a CT owner for almost 8 years and that is now finally realistic for me. I just want to make sure I purchase smartly and don't get in a rush.

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, renaissanceman said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at my first CTsw in person tomorrow and am looking for any feedback regarding things to look out for. I've owned several aircraft in the past and understand the general things to be aware of, but am hoping for some CT specific advice.  It is a 2006 model and I know the rubber and chute are due next year.

I've hoped to become a CT owner for almost 8 years and that is now finally realistic for me. I just want to make sure I purchase smartly and don't get in a rush.

Thanks in advance

1) Check the tail attachment for any cracks or other issues.
2) Look at the underside of the wing for stains or composite softness indicating possible fuel tank leaks.
3) Check spinner alignment to cowl and look for engine sagging (not hard to fix, but could indicate lack of maintenance)
4) Look at tire wear pattern on main tires.  CTSWs have notoriously bad factory wheel alignment, it took me a lot of effort to get mine aligned well.
5) Ask what fuel was used.  100LL will make for 40% shorter maintenance intervals (oil changes, gearbox overhaul) over mogas.
6) Check nosewheel attach on engine mount for any bends or cracks indicating a hard landing.
7) Check if wings level on flat ground.  A lot of CTs sit 1/2" to 1" lower on one side, but if it's more than that you should closely look at main gear for evidence of hard landing.

Just a few off the top of my head.

3 hours ago, renaissanceman said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Contact Tom Baker of this forum.  I've known Tom for many years and trust him to give good advice based on extensive personal experience, training and ability to communicate effectively.