Good, budget retirement locations for a CT pilot.

Florence Oregon is too wet. Too much weather for a guy that likes to fly his CT 100 hours per year.  I yearn for warmth and sun.  I love waterfront living and I don't care about a job market.  Lastly I need a portion of a hangar to rent.

I'm looking at the Texas gulf coast lately.

Any recomendations?

Tucson, AZ. More sunny days and more good flying days. That's why we have so many  big training centers out here because we have at least 320 good days of flying weather per year. We have tons of open land to explore, camp, ride and fish. The Sea of Cortez in Mexico is 3.5 hours away. Cost of living here is cheaper than most. Lots of Mnts surround us up to 10K and you can ski or explore. The people around here are pretty much all friendly and easy going. Come for a visit.

It is dry with no humidity and that's why we don't have rot and rust on everything and  no mosquitoes and the hot part is usually just July and Aug. I've lived here since 1960 and I don't think it's that hot. There are tons of lakes for skiing and fishing, tons of land to go 4x4ing, ATV riding, hiking and camping. The lakes and pools are warm and not cold to swim in. The houses don't rot away and get moldy from all the moisture. and need painting every few years. The climate out here is why the military and the airlines keeps their planes out here. The Pima Air Museum here is one of the largest in the country because of our good weather. Arizona is an outdoor state with very little to hold you back. Plus you don't have to deal with snow, cold and mud. If you want to play in the snow hop in the car and go up into our mnts. If you have arthritic pain that comes and goes with low pressure areas that do get a lot of rain and big climate swings, well not here because of the usual high pressure and drier climate. My wife just came back from Washington for three weeks and was in pain until she came back home. We don't worry about tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes and forest fires wiping out our homes. Plus places like California and other big cities has a cost of living 2-3 times what ours is.

Plus ED lots of airports for your plane and at least 320 good days to fly. Oh and don't forget skydiving, repelling and water skiing. :) 

Hi Warmi,

When spring come I'll show you all the green you want from the north to the south border of AZ. We are green, but this time of year just like other parts of the US we are brown because of winter. It's green all over the desert even now, but more tree green when warmer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 5:29 AM, Roger Lee said:

Tucson, AZ. More sunny days and more good flying days. That's why we have so many  big training centers out here because we have at least 320 good days of flying weather per year. We have tons of open land to explore, camp, ride and fish. The Sea of Cortez in Mexico is 3.5 hours away. Cost of living here is cheaper than most. Lots of Mnts surround us up to 10K and you can ski or explore. The people around here are pretty much all friendly and easy going. Come for a visit.

I'm grateful to everyone that chimed in, and maybe Tucson wins, at least for a 1 year trial as a renter.  Roger, being so close to the border I'm curious, how much impact is the current invasion having on the Tucson area?  It's a potential deal breaker for me.

Immigration isn't an issue here. We are 75 miles north of the border, but they don't come here. They are headed for other areas in the US. So you never hear or see them. No smog, lower housing and cost of living than California. Plus less traffic depending on where you live. I don't care for Phoenix because of all the people. We have good weather more than most places in the US and that's why we have so many training facilities here and so many large aircraft storage areas. I like the outdoors and with so much open land you can do about anything you want.

Can’t imagine having to park outside.

……. Roger you need to put up a toll gate out there in the middle of hells half acre like on Blazing Saddles and start collecting for security fencing, lights, portable seismic intrusion devices, some dobermans and RV armor plating……Didnt they make the movie Tremors on your place?….I thought so. 

32 minutes ago, airhound said:

Can’t imagine having to park outside.

……. Roger you need to put up a toll gate out there in the middle of hells half acre like on Blazing Saddles and start collecting for security fencing, lights, portable seismic intrusion devices, some dobermans and RV armor plating……Didnt they make the movie Tremors on your place?….I thought so. 

Tremors was made in eastern California desert, in the shadow of Mt Whitney

13 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Immigration isn't an issue here. We are 75 miles north of the border, but they don't come here. They are headed for other areas in the US. So you never hear or see them. No smog, lower housing and cost of living than California. Plus less traffic depending on where you live. I don't care for Phoenix because of all the people. We have good weather more than most places in the US and that's why we have so many training facilities here and so many large aircraft storage areas. I like the outdoors and with so much open land you can do about anything you want.

Which airport works best for finding hangar space for my CTSW to rent?