Farm Hangar Plans, Suggestions

Vic

Hey guys, 

This is a big shot in the dark here.  Iv been trying to price out hangars for a couple years and always end up running into high build costs. I have family that can help me frame up traditional wood/ pole barns but we need a good set of plans that I can take to the county for approval build permits.

I know about fabric designs, versa-tube and Quonsets but I want to avoid those options.  The plan is to finish the exterior to match the house design and  (Happy wife happy life) 

I cant afford a steel building kit from Morton's and some of these other contractors that want 80,000 for a hangar without a bifold. I see some people build hangars out of pole barns and  traditional wood framing. 

Does anyone have pictures or plans of a wood construction hangar that can handle a bifold or a simpler door idea that would work?  

There is an airport here in Southern Illinois KPJY that built some T hangars. I was there several years ago, and they had some really light weight looking bi-fold doors, that might work on a wood frame pole type building. Also companies like Schweiss make free standing headers for their doors. When we added a bifold door to our hangar here at the airport the structure wouldn't support it, so we added a header for support, and tied it into the existing building. ours is a metal building by the way. 

Most of the hangars ( 48) on my field [ CST7 ]are made of wood... 2x 6  walls, wood truss with  5–12 slope . sheet metal covered and . different door styles    send me a PM  and i will send you drawings

here are some with bi-fold   

4ABFA7F8-D901-4B3A-A521-D8BDC8C2282D.jpeg

It's hard to beat pole barn construction for cost, I went 40'x40' with 10' height.  Hindsight I'd love to have gone bigger and taller, but that was a stretch for me 20 years ago.  National hardware makes the standard pole barn sliding door track, most people are not aware they sell radius channels, I used that with segment hinged together door panels so door mounts under the header (good for sealing weather), and doesn't require doors extending out past building exterior when open.

This is about as cheap as one can go.  In 2005 built to shell less the big door was $13,500.  I spent around a grand on the door.  Went 10 years with a stone floor, and then did concrete.  In 2019 built 12' annex for around $3500 doing it myself.  

image.png.e71dcc2fdcc26edda7e131eb1be15754.png

image.thumb.png.309ab316d95ec9df1bb86bc00e821954.png

image.png.c17d10aa5d3ffb4953a410dbdbf90027.png

Thanks guys, this is great!  Sent you a PM jacques.

Darrel that is a really cool idea and I was hoping someone did that with a pole building.  Did you double up on any trusses or headers? I looked at a similar concept to with the accordion style doors from Fold Tight.  Of course that package does not come cheap either

image.thumb.png.be5728982e2eb1532a4e5b22d1a064ca.png

.  Do you have any pictures easy to grab of your door and hardware inside?  

The first truss over the span was doubled, and I 'X' braced to triangulate along the center peak across the first 4 or 5 trusses, it's not settled a bit over time.  Screwing steel on truss is one heck of a strengthener as well.  Frost heaving was a bit of a factor when I had stone floor, concrete solved that situation.  I have about 1" gap under door to floor, and bristle style door gap sweeps, works decent.

Here's view closed, the 40' span divides in half, 4 panels per each half.  The first three panels from center are width to complement steel ribbing, so the exterior both looks good and you don't have to cut steel length wise.  The end panel is about 3' and should have a flat section of steel on the end, so it seals up to building when it swings closed.  There are 4 cane bolts pinning the base to floor per side, to keep bottom from moving.

image.thumb.png.986b5d50c62d787432cc749779283a12.png

To open, unlatch end panel and swing 180 degrees:

image.thumb.png.2e2442ec6a33a82fb404a8d0389bc440.png

image.thumb.png.e25df13e80d9534e8c75a7255431709c.png

image.thumb.png.a89dbe93d051b294d09af729b86b092b.png

image.thumb.png.c59140e3e74046787c774a7aacf47f50.png

image.thumb.png.cca69ef29b8a7f195b5f63113ea12b31.png

This is easy to operate, quick to open, and the building remains standard pole barn construction if you wanted to do something different later.  I think bi-fold would be sweet, but didn't have the funds for that and all these years later I can honestly say this door has worked well.  

The other option considering CT's have a narrow wingspan is using two 16' overhead garage doors side by side, with the center post that removes or swings up.  I've seen some of those installed well, and some more cumbersome.  Or, price a 30' overhead door, probably a lot cheaper than bifold.  I'd hunt those options talking to the garage door companies in your local area, but then you're committed to a narrow wingspan bird.

Thanks Darrell,

The pictures are great.  Thanks for sharing with the group guys.  You have a nice setup there, I'm going to give national Hardware a call and see if they can set me up with the same design you have there.

Best

Vic