Electrical Failure

acresflyer

I was flying my 2005 CTSW last week when I spotted a possible traffic conflict. To make myself more visible, I tried to turn on the landing light when the electric dropped off line. I reset the battery breaker and everything came back. I thought that the problem might be in the landing light, but when I tried to put the flaps down it tripped again. This time it took four tries to reset the breaker and when I turned on the avionics master it tripped again. After landing I was able to reset the breaker once but it tripped as soon I put a load on it. Further trouble shooting confirmed that the battery switch/breaker [W23-X1A1G-25] was bad. Part total time 1140 hours. FD has this P/N C9997190 for $51.00, however I found this part available from Aircraft Spruce P/N 11-04118 for $19.65. New breaker was installed and problem solved.

Acresflyer, what action must one take to "reset" the breaker switch? Do you pull it out and then push it in again to "reset" it? Or, does it automatically pop out when it senses a high current load and then one must push it back in - or attempt to push it back in if it's not defective, to bring it back on line?

A thought on our circuit breakers while we're on the subject. A while ago I traced my position light problem to a dirty breaker. Excercise your breakers occasionally to keep their contacts clean.

Good tip Dick, these breakers are really good. I have only seen a couple that failed. Exercizing them every annual or so is a great idea

Archived