Settings for Dynon autopilot in a CTSW

I'm just wrapping up the mechanical part of swapping out the old TruTrak autopilot and servos to a Dynon AP74 and corresponding Dynon servos.  My hope is that this will integrate better with my Dynon D100 EFIS.  Once I get it all installed and turn everything on I'm going to need to input the tuning constants in the Dynon head unit to optimize performance with the CTSW.  

Are there any other owners out there who are flying behind a Dynon D100 with an AP74 driving SV32 servos?  If so, would you mind sharing with me your tuning settings?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Would really appreciate it Eddie! It looks like there are about a half dozen tuning constants mentioned in the Dynon installation manual, split between the roll and pitch servos. If you’re able to navigate to the ‘AP’ submenus in the ‘Setup’ menu on your D100 and just take a few pictures of the various screens that would probably be easiest. 

I’m out of town right now - will be back at it early next week, so no hurry. 

Thanks in advance!

chuck

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Outstanding - thank you Eddie!

Overall you like the performance of the autopilot with these settings?  It sure doesn't wander around like my previous ap did with every little be of shear.

They are perfect.  I didn't know LSA AP could work so well.

I find the baro as first action to be best.  I fly with the HSI enabled on a split screen along with EFIS.  Input thru the knob, you get a pop up to see the setting you are dialing.  You see bugs and values displayed continuously on the HSI also the out of trim.  I maxed out turn rate so big turns like a 180 sure go better with a bunch of rudder help.  Oh yeah the 180 feature is a lovely thing.

The one knob on the AP74 is the biggest frustration, you have to first the the correct number of press before you can dial.  The servos almost never let go yet they are not hard to overpower.  I mostly only trim enough to make the out of trim light go out which leaves it with a little bit of nose down that you can see if you disengage.  

On 2/19/2024 at 8:56 PM, Chuck said:

Outstanding - thank you Eddie!

Overall you like the performance of the autopilot with these settings?

Oops  I do see on the roll servo I maxed out bank and rate of turn.  It's fun with these but might require rudder, you might want to back them off.

I noticed that - it looks like all your other settings are set to the default that Dynon establishes for the AP in the D100 settings, but you do have a much more aggressive turn rate.  Also, it looks like with the newer software versions there's a way to set the max turn rate to 0 and then the AP goes into some slightly different mode - here's the excerpt from page 6-18 of the D100 installation manual:

image.thumb.png.28d8a8e630ffe2d6bb2440dca76a279d.png

I may try experimenting with this new setting once I'm up in the air and flying behind the Dynon AP.

Thanks again for your help,

Chuck