Spare Fasteners

I want new nylocks for my nosewheel.  While I'm at it I would like to buy a supply of spare fasteners:

• Bolts and nylocks for split wheels
  • bolts for fastening wheel pants
  • Torque head bolts for panel fasteners
  • others not coming to mind

What is best source and what are the sizes (if anyone knows)

Ace Aviation (Ace Hardware) will have them. There is nothing special about these. Just match what you have. These nuts & bolts are not aircraft only hardware. I buy most of my metric stuff from Ace. We have some huge Ace stores here in town. One Ace here  is like a full shopping center.

McMaster Carr (online) will have a very large selection of fasteners in all metric sizes, head style, strength rating (grade), and material (plated, stainless, etc).  

The sizes of fasteners on our airplanes are often found in the parts manual.  If you get a cheap metric caliper and a metric thread pitch gauge, you will always know the exact replacement fastener.  

I second McMaster Carr. The parts manual provides a DIN specification and size for most hardware, like DIN 985 for the nuts with 8.8 hardness. Most everything is metric. The exceptions are the Matco wheels brakes, avionics, and BRS system. Avionics can be a mix of both metric and US hardware. Sometimes changes made after the airplane was new could have US hardware.

13 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Instead of trying to find something on a computer and order it and pay shipping you can use the same info at your local Ace Hardware. They have the same stuff. These nuts and bolts are from another world. They are everyday common items. 

My closest Ace Hardware is a 25 minute drive away. By the time I get there or back it has taken an hour of my time. Until I get there I don't know if they have what I want, so it might be a wasted trip. We have two local hardware stores, and they rarely have what I need, and they are way overpriced. Fastenal is good, but the closest is almost a two hour round trip. Most times I can sit down at my computer and find what I want at McMaster in a minute or two. I can order pretty late in the day, and still have it UPS the next day. Even with shipping, which they are fairly reasonable, the parts if purchased in quantity is less expensive that the local hardware store.

For an experiment I just priced some DIN 985 M6 nuts that are common one used on the CT. Ordering one pack of 100 with shipping and tax my cost is .18 per nut. I would have them tomorrow, and it took me less than a minute to order them. How long will it take to drive to Ace, and how much will they cost a piece? 

7 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I typically purchase what's needed from local nut & bolt dealer, but sometimes the fastener is unique enough it's not in stock, I've really been impressed with this source:

BelMetric.com - Metric Fasteners & Hardware

Great website and service.

I order from Belmetric too if McMaster doesn't have what I need. They are a good source for the locknut for the exhaust.

You haven't seen my Ace that is a half block long and a full shopping center. It has stuff people haven't ever seen. When I want to research or invent something I walk the isles and can put a project together in my head then buy the parts. My Ace has more stuff than many hardware stores put together have. Even my smaller Ace is huge. I can find stuff at these I can't get anywhere else. I buy all my hardware there except for AN stuff.

I looked at the 6mm locknut selection from Ace in Page AZ.  One choice.  If it's what you want, maybe it's OK.  I looked at the offerings from McMaster Carr.  Six selections, all well described, including what ISO and DIN standards they meet.  

If one needs a nut right now and thinks it's OK, one from Ace may do the job.  If one is stocking nuts to have on hand, it's nice to know that the items from McMaster Carr are thoroughly described so one has a better feel for the provenance.

13 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

I looked at the 6mm locknut selection from Ace in Page AZ.  One choice.  If it's what you want, maybe it's OK.  I looked at the offerings from McMaster Carr.  Six selections, all well described, including what ISO and DIN standards they meet.  

If one needs a nut right now and thinks it's OK, one from Ace may do the job.  If one is stocking nuts to have on hand, it's nice to know that the items from McMaster Carr are thoroughly described so one has a better feel for the provenance.

All Ace Hardwares are different. Some are small and some are big. Mine here on 22nd & Kolb may be the largest in the US. Page,AZ has a small one. You have to check each one out individually. If you saw mine you'd be shocked. They took over a whole shopping center.

On 2/27/2024 at 9:25 AM, FredG said:

McMaster Carr (online) will have a very large selection of fasteners in all metric sizes, head style, strength rating (grade), and material (plated, stainless, etc).  

The sizes of fasteners on our airplanes are often found in the parts manual.  If you get a cheap metric caliper and a metric thread pitch gauge, you will always know the exact replacement fastener.  

I second this, you can buy grade 8/8.8 nylocks and other hardware in all the sizes used on the CTs pretty cheaply from McMaster and the quality is excellent.  I have used Grainger as well, but McMaster seems easier to deal with.