Future of GA

At this point I believe SLSA is the only future to non turbine aircraft for GA, thanks to the idiotic certification requirements of the FAA. There are a lot of incredible high performance aircraft coming out to meet the new MOSAIC rules. GA as we know it is dead in this country when it comes to new aircraft and has been for some time. I look at some of these new aircraft and am amazed at the new technology incorporated into them. Why spend 500k+ for a 172 dinosaur when 250k to 400k buys a high performance aircraft even with just two seats. I had a 310 for 22 years and only used two seats 98% of the time. All these new aircraft are made outside of the US, thanks to the FAA. 

I recently got asked to get involved in some STC certifications for the new Earth X tso battery which will eventually be for almost all GA aircraft. I received a phone call from their engineer to discuss a few things,  who is working with the FAA. He told me that the FAA required a flame thrower device to burn the battery for 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't explode during tso certification. This is just one of the idiotic requirements. 

I bought an autopilot from Britain Autopilot Co. out of Texas a couple years ago for a friend. The company owner said he could send everything except the front panel. He had been waiting 18 months for flammability tests on the decals required by the FAA.

No wonder LSA from overseas is beginning to dominate US general aviation. 

Especially if one wants to fly their aircraft regularly.  I don't think twice about cost in my FD.  The FD pals based at airports nearby always point out the beautiful complex and twin GA birds that only fly for a specific trip the owners take on occasion, as they won't fly simple pleasure flights due to the operational costs - how sad.

And this is with fuel cost still somewhat reasonable, what happens when fuel goes to what other countries pay for it?  Owning a modern, efficient, fun, safe, and economical machine as the GA fleet legacy issues continue to play out remains where I want to be, no regrets selling the Cessna.

I'm also noticing GA fella's waking up to Rotax 9 series, as well as a Michigan pilot group on Facebook recently having a post about someone inquiring on a Tecnam - previously I'd see them ripped about LSA but that's changing too.  Perhaps Mosaic press will be a resurgence for LSA industry.

That thing is listed at 800 lbs empty with the 916 engine - surely they must have cut some corners somewhere to maintain this much useful load … hmm… I will wait for more realistic and useful 1500-1600 lbs gross Mosaic offerings.

16 hours ago, Warmi said:

That thing is listed at 800 lbs empty with the 916 engine - surely they must have cut some corners somewhere to maintain this much useful load … hmm… I will wait for more realistic and useful 1500-1600 lbs gross Mosaic offerings.

I see these types as pre-Mosaic offerings.  Waiting for the new rule allows them to ensure compliance when they increase weight and speed.