Blanking hole in the airframe

Hello,

I recently removed the top antenna that was connected to an ELT I never had because it wasn't working (to old).
For the radio I used the antenna under the airframe.

Could someone tell me how I could blank in the holes in the airframe? For now I just use white duck tape.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Short of composite & painting, you might consider making an aluminum cover the same shape as old antenna, paint white, and then bolt through to attach.  Silicone sealant to water proof.

I second this idea, especially if there are already holes drilled in the composite for the antenna, since your plate can use those same holes.  Trying to get a super flush appearance will probably require some expensive composite work.  You could put the plate on the inside and then fill with some kind of resin or body filler, sand flush, and paint, but I'm guessing over time that might crack, discolor, or otherwise not look great.

Also using Darrell's suggestion, you still have the antenna mounting location under the plate in case you need to mount something later.  Depending on the exact location it might also make a nice hard point for a GoPro.

Finally, if the hole is small enough you can just use Bowlus tape.  I had my OAT sensor relocated from the underside of the fuselage to the correct position under the wing, which left about a 1/2" hole on the underside of my airplane.  The mechanic slapped some Bowlus tape over it and called it good.  I check it and replace the tape every couple of years, but otherwise it's been fine.  But this isn't in a conspicuous location.

An ELT antenna would be about a 1/2" hole. I think I would use a couple stainless large area washers a screw and a nut. I would put a piece of 6mm 1/4" fuel hose cut just a little longer than the skin is thick at that point, and clamp it between the washers to seal the hole. Squeezing it will cause it to expand and fill the space. You might be able to get away with a stainless countersunk Tinnerman washer on the outside for a little cleaner look.

Thank you to you three.
I was thinking to fill the 5 holes (4 for the screws and 1 of the antenna) with silicone to keep the holes usable one day.
I think I will be able to made a 2mm acrylic white plate or something alike or maybe using thick white stickers.
I will check for Bowlus tape too.

17 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

An ELT antenna would be about a 1/2" hole. I think I would use a couple stainless large area washers a screw and a nut. I would put a piece of 6mm 1/4" fuel hose cut just a little longer than the skin is thick at that point, and clamp it between the washers to seal the hole. Squeezing it will cause it to expand and fill the space. You might be able to get away with a stainless countersunk Tinnerman washer on the outside for a little cleaner look.

Good idea.  You could also use a rubber washer under a metal one to help seal the hole.