Proper use of seat strap in CTLS?

Batjac

Hi, All.  I am a new CTLS owner.  I just got my plane at the end of January, and there is a lot of stuff that I don’t know.  And a lot of stuff I don’t know that I don’t know.  I’ve been slowly working my way through this forum, but I keep finding items that hint at other things I should understand.  One of these is the strap on the back of the seats.  I had assumed that the strap is just to keep the seat from pivoting forward after setting the seat position.  But a couple of threads give me the impression that there’s more to it that I need to understand.  Can someone explain the actual design purpose of this strap and proper adjustment?  Maybe with a clarifying picture or diagram?

Thanks,

Mark

The strap is to support and adjust the incline of the seat, not to keep it from flopping forward. The seat should not, I repeat should not be resting on the rear bulkhead. If it is resting on the bulkhead it will cause the seat pan to crack, because it is not designed for that kind of stress. I have repaired several over the years. Some of the early airplanes had issues with the straps and adjusters slipping. For those a half hitch knot in the free end of the strap helps. Also you have to watch the positioning of the adjuster, because of the angle an placement can cause it to release when you sit in the seat.

3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The strap is to support and adjust the incline of the seat, not to keep it from flopping forward. The seat should not, I repeat should not be resting on the rear bulkhead. If it is resting on the bulkhead it will cause the seat pan to crack, because it is not designed for that kind of stress. I have repaired several over the years. Some of the early airplanes had issues with the straps and adjusters slipping. For those a half hitch knot in the free end of the strap helps. Also you have to watch the positioning of the adjuster, because of the angle an placement can cause it to release when you sit in the seat.

Well said, Tom,   I now remember  FD-west in Carson City gave me a new passenger seat because mine then against the bulkhead seemed to have a broken fame up high on the high back seat.  I never saw it with the cover off.

Okay, so to be clear.  I have my seat positioned in the track such that the locking pins are in the second hole from the front.  I now adjust the strap so that it is just snug?  No tension lifting the seat from where it rests?  I never really specifically looked at the seat back when I'm sitting in it but I thought that I was far enough forward that the seat back does not touch the bulkhead.  Am I missing something?

Mark

4 hours ago, Batjac said:

Okay, so to be clear.  I have my seat positioned in the track such that the locking pins are in the second hole from the front.  I now adjust the strap so that it is just snug?  No tension lifting the seat from where it rests?  I never really specifically looked at the seat back when I'm sitting in it but I thought that I was far enough forward that the seat back does not touch the bulkhead.  Am I missing something?

Mark

If you are in the second hole you can have the strap tight, and the seat will be sitting almost straight up. Or you can loosen it some and recline the seat a little. Put a little pressure on the seat bottom, and make sure the seat back is not touching the bulkhead. As long as it is not touching you are good.

I didn’t understand the strap either when I bought my SW. Sounded like the seat pan was already cracked when I bought it, but I definitely made it worse. Thankfully, it wasn’t hard to fix the cracks, and since the work was covered, it didn’t have to be pretty.

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

If you are in the second hole you can have the strap tight, and the seat will be sitting almost straight up. Or you can loosen it some and recline the seat a little. Put a little pressure on the seat bottom, and make sure the seat back is not touching the bulkhead. As long as it is not touching you are good.

I'll have someone look at it when I'm sitting in it tomorrow and make sure it's all good.  So there should always be some tension in the strap holding the seat up?

8 hours ago, Batjac said:

Mark

uh, maybe you are.  snug is not the objective. the objective is supported by the strap alone.  

8 hours ago, Batjac said:

I'll have someone look at it when I'm sitting in it tomorrow and make sure it's all good.  So there should always be some tension in the strap holding the seat up?

Yes, the strap should always be under tension supporting the seat. The seat is designed to be supported at 3 points. The two seat rails, and where the strap attaches. If it is being supported anywhere else it will break the seat. It basically hinges on the pins in the rails, and hangs on the strap.

Great info guys.  I've had my CTLS for about a year now and never saw anything about the tension strap.  There's nothing about it in the POH.  Went and checked mine the next day.  Needed a bit of tightening but no indication I'd damaged the seat as of yet.