Unknown modifications

EricB

Undergoing the 5 year rubber replacement on my CTLS.  It seems that some parts that make the engine whole are not Rotax, some are FD, and some are unknown.  Have others been surprised by a hose or fitting that isn't Rotax?  ALSO, if anyone has pictures of the left side of the engine especially showing the water circuit coming down from the top of the engine, that might be very helpful.  Mine has a sharply bent hose (which functions fine) but is not anyone's standard.  I have all the Rotax manuals and they are most unhelpful in this instance.

Attached is a picture of the normal installation. It uses a section of straight 1" hose over a formed aluminum tube. On yours it appears that someone has replaced that with a formed rubber hose. I suppose it will work, but I don't think I would pass one like that without approval from the manufacture.

coolant hose.jpg

I think I now have good direction on this.  MANY thanks for Roger for spending time on the phone with me this morning and clarifying so much of what was only part of each story.  Thanks also to Tom for posting that picture.  This forum is a great resource for the new and experienced FD owner.  I'll post a wrap up when Snoopy and I are back in the air.

Airtime told me the 90 hose was "non-standard" and not something they could supply.  Lockwood is my first stop for Rotax parts and when they told me it wasn't Rotax, I turned to Airtime.  The plane is Experimental status now so I got some great advice from Roger on several ways to deal with that hose.

Eric, my comment was intended to say that Airtime could tell you the correct hose.  Indeed, in their position it's understandable they would not recommend a non-standard hose, even for ELSA.  I assume you identified the actual new non-standard part when you made your log book entry, otherwise someone would be likely to assume it was the OEM part when it is not.

In reflecting on your comment, I'm surprised they did not say something like, "Here is the correct hose and part number".  He did say he saw nothing wrong with the picture I provided so maybe he was trying not to appear pushy about "buy this"   Still.  

There is nothing special about the hose, it is just a 1" or 25mm hose. The Flight Design part is the formed aluminum tube on the inside of the hose to provide its shape. Probably during a previous rubber replacement someone through out the hose without realizing there was an aluminum support tube inside.

Finally decided spring in the 1" hose is the way to go.  I've been told "just get a bent hose from (auto parts supplier) but not one auto part house near me has anything close.  I've got the spring (too short - too stiff) and the hose  We shall see.  It is NOT OEM but I have the experimental certificate.  Was hoping NOT to deviate from SLSA but have not heard what is the "right" thing to do from Airtime.  They did say my current installation "looks fine" but, as Tom notes, not OEM.  I'm just glad I have options which my A&P and I can discuss and decide which is acceptable.  Spring/hose, pipe/hose, properly bent hose, what a cluster really.

Thanks for that part number Tom.  Attached is my general problem at all area auto stores.  Maybe I'll see if my local O'R will order it in for future use.

NotinStock.jpg.b8601197bf766db851ffc5fcf4b12327.jpg