MOSAIC disaster

Now that the new MOSAIC rules have been put off for at least another year it puts the LSA manufacturers in a real bind. They anticipated the rule changes for this year and developed aircraft to meet the new performance changes. I have seen a lot of the new planes which are very high performance aircraft. But now these aircraft must be flown under "experimental exhibition" which is very restrictive at least until the changes eventually happen if they happen. No one is going to want to put out that kind of money for the restrictive flight requirements. I talked to a friend today who owns a distributorship for a major LSA company. He is about ready to give it up on this news. The aircraft manufacturers like Cessna and Piper don't want the MOSAIC changes, I wonder why. They make dinosaurs with obsolete technology engines for absurd costs. We have lost the GA industry in this country a long time ago.

52 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Now that the new MOSAIC rules have been put off for at least another year it puts the LSA manufacturers in a real bind. They anticipated the rule changes for this year and developed aircraft to meet the new performance changes. I have seen a lot of the new planes which are very high performance aircraft. But now these aircraft must be flown under "experimental exhibition" which is very restrictive at least until the changes eventually happen if they happen. No one is going to want to put out that kind of money for the restrictive flight requirements. I talked to a friend today who owns a distributorship for a major LSA company. He is about ready to give it up on this news. The aircraft manufacturers like Cessna and Piper don't want the MOSAIC changes, I wonder why. They make dinosaurs with obsolete technology engines for absurd costs. We have lost the GA industry in this country a long time ago.

Well i heard that the delay was about 90 days due to extended commenting period and they anticipate the rule to go in effect sometime mid 2025 - which from what I heard was always mentioned as most likely implementation date.

more details here … 

I personally gave up on factory LSAs - the actual Mosaic replacement for my Sting sells for $420 000 - thanks but no thanks.

A few months ago I started building a Tucano replica kit with Rotax 916 etc … the whole thing , with a brs parachute and everything will be around 150-180k - not cheap but I can do that .

Of course it will take me about 2-3 years to get all of that done but so far I am making good progress - almost done with the empennage kit and just ordered the wing kit. Once I get to the point where I am ready to install the engine and avionics, I will sell my Sting which should nicely cover both.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=8AyXUfTtk

https://www.flyinglegendusa.com/aircrafts/tucano-r-experimental/

IMG_4923.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

9 hours ago, Warmi said:

Well i heard that the delay was about 90 days due to extended commenting period and they anticipate the rule to go in effect sometime mid 2025 - which from what I heard was always mentioned as most likely implementation date.

more details here … 

You still can't fly them LSA until then. I've dealt with the FAA for over 50 years. In the last 20 years they gotten pretty slack. I know an autopilot manufacturer who was waiting 18 months for flammability tests on some decals for a faceplate, it's insane. I've been talking to Scott Severen in your video about this yesterday.

9 hours ago, Warmi said:

I personally gave up on factory LSAs - the actual Mosaic replacement for my Sting sells for $420 000 - thanks but no thanks.

A few months ago I started building a Tucano replica kit with Rotax 916 etc … the whole thing , with a brs parachute and everything will be around 150-180k - not cheap but I can do that .

Of course it will take me about 2-3 years to get all of that done but so far I am making good progress - almost done with the empennage kit and just ordered the wing kit. Once I get to the point where I am ready to install the engine and avionics, I will sell my Sting which should nicely cover both.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=8AyXUfTtk

https://www.flyinglegendusa.com/aircrafts/tucano-r-experimental/

IMG_4923.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

The Sting is $225,000. The Sparker starts at $330,000. I just asked the distributor Trey a few minutes ago.

FWIW.  The latest FAA reauthorization bill released by the joint Senate/House subcommittees requires the FAA to have the regulations in place for MOSAIC no later than 2 years after the bill becomes law.  Of course, a bunch of unrelated amendments may derail it but one can hope.  In the end if the two year mandate holds, that will make the entire NPRM process slightly less than 3 years which is the norm for the NPRM process (in all areas).

4 hours ago, S3flyer said:

FWIW.  The latest FAA reauthorization bill released by the joint Senate/House subcommittees requires the FAA to have the regulations in place for MOSAIC no later than 2 years after the bill becomes law.  Of course, a bunch of unrelated amendments may derail it but one can hope.  In the end if the two year mandate holds, that will make the entire NPRM process slightly less than 3 years which is the norm for the NPRM process (in all areas).

Don't hold your breath,  there's a lot of politics in it.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:30 AM, Madhatter said:

The Sting is $225,000. The Sparker starts at $330,000. I just asked the distributor Trey a few minutes ago.

It may star at 330k but the full “Mosaic” configuration  is quoted at 425k … for that price i would rather go with either used Cirrus or brand new RV 10.

2 hours ago, Warmi said:

It may star at 330k but the full “Mosaic” configuration  is quoted at 425k … for that price i would rather go with either used Cirrus or brand new RV 10.

If you want one the distributor is across from my hangar 😄